Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mb
We were just wondering...

Is this a remake of the original game or is it a little different, much different, etc (outside of the graphics/components which are GMT awesome).

We haven't had a chance to break it out yet and we are not very 18XX experienced.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Game and mechanics-wise, this is a "straight" reprint -- there are some clarifications to the rules and the rules are in a different format, but they are the same rules as intended by the designer.

Component-wise, based on what others have said, this printing is an upgrade with mounted board, thick cardboard tiles, and so on. The only "not as great" component is that that station/stock market tokens are cardboard disks instead of wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would note the discs are really thick cardboard so it is not a big comedown at all from wood with a label.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It's the same game-play.

The clarifications are pretty minor stuff, like explicitly telling players to return a RR's treasury to the bank if it closes. Most games, a RR never closes; players would probably put the treasury in the bank anyways; and the amount is unlikely to make a difference in triggering the game end.

I resisted the temptation to make any substantive changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Now I'm intrigued. What changes were you tempted to make?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
The only "not as great" component is that that station/stock market tokens are cardboard disks instead of wood.

The cardboard tokens are so nice and thick, and the color on the backs is so useful, that I felt they were better than the wood ones in the earlier edition. They are (for example) much nicer than the cardboard tokens in 1830 or 1856.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:
The only "not as great" component is that that station/stock market tokens are cardboard disks instead of wood.

The cardboard tokens are so nice and thick, and the color on the backs is so useful, that I felt they were better than the wood ones in the earlier edition. They are (for example) much nicer than the cardboard tokens in 1830 or 1856.

All true, and 'twasn't meant as a knock on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Having now looked at but not played with a GMT copy, the production is rather nice. The tokens don't push me one way or the other, no more than the coloured wood tokens in 18OE: On the Rails of the Orient Express or any recent Marflow Games game. Sure, not bad, but no complaints or praise there. The track tiles are annoyingly thick and I'd replace them before I'd play (sadly, standard sized tiles won't fit). The share and train art etc is all Okay, not great, but quite reasonable (the shares smear well, but not as well as I'd quite like, but not by much). The over-sized hexes of the map and track-tiles aren't immediately apparent but do slightly irritate 18xx-trained spacing expectations (it sort of creeps up on you and doesn't look quite right -- the track lines are too long compared to the slightly too small token diameters). Not bad, just not what I've been visually habituated to. The map is fine (the pinkness creeps up on you). The board is fine if very heavy. The whole box together is heavy, heavy enough to give pause. (I've come to value light weight in games, both at home and even more when traveling -- just had to pay ~$100 yet again for overweight game luggage) Maybe the board won't warp or curve with moisture or age (most cardboard boards seem to); I'd rather a light-weight laminated paper board that can't.

So in sum: not bad. A bit irritating/surprising in places, but Okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
mfwesq wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

No game is perfect. After more than a dozen years, you look at past work and even if you are generally satisfied -- which I am with 1846 -- you can see things that could be improved. Perhaps, a bonus could be added to this RR? Perhaps a cost could be tweaked?

I discussed this with people and made the decision not to make any fine-tuning changes. In particular, I negotiated the right of DTG and its approved licensors to continue making 1846 in "kit" form. In return, DTG supplied their graphics to GMT as a starting point. Introducing differences and variants would just muddy the waters for little benefit.

Five years from now, it might be appropriate to provide a small promo/variant, but for now, I'd rather have everyone playing and discussing the same game. Does this make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for *not* tweaking this game. A kitted-out variant is much more appropriate. This way, we can all play the same game and speak the same language. Thanks again, Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
Thank you for *not* tweaking this game. A kitted-out variant is much more appropriate. This way, we can all play the same game and speak the same language. Thanks again, Tom.

And not running the risk of having two seperate entries on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
mfwesq wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

No game is perfect. After more than a dozen years, you look at past work and even if you are generally satisfied -- which I am with 1846 -- you can see things that could be improved. Perhaps, a bonus could be added to this RR? Perhaps a cost could be tweaked?

I discussed this with people and made the decision not to make any fine-tuning changes. In particular, I negotiated the right of DTG and its approved licensors to continue making 1846 in "kit" form. In return, DTG supplied their graphics to GMT as a starting point. Introducing differences and variants would just muddy the waters for little benefit.

Five years from now, it might be appropriate to provide a small promo/variant, but for now, I'd rather have everyone playing and discussing the same game. Does this make sense?

Perfect sense. I'm new to the game so do not have any past loyalty, but still I appreciate keeping it the same as all the prior discussion still applies. Sounds like all parties involved worked together to make the best game possible for us, and keep everyone happy.

The graphic & component changes relieves my general hesitation with 18XX titles. Yes, I know JC has some quibbles with the GMT edition, but those all sound like very minor things & more habit than anything else. I personally really like the thick tiles & tokens, the nicer--yet still subtle--graphic design on the board. The cards to the job yet aren't ugly (I'd like to hear specifics on how the shares can smear better though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:

And not running the risk of having two seperate entries on BGG.

I'm surprised the different box art didn't trigger that.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mb
Thank you for the detailed responses. We look forward to diving into it this weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.