Subject: How to place cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve S
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I just got the game, and have read the rules. I don't know exactly the process for placing cities.

1) I am assuming that cities are placed by playing cards. Is this the case? And more specifically, is it the case that the ONLY way to place cities is to place them through a card event/instruction (and thus, the only locations to place a power's cities are the locations specified on the 'place cities' cards)?

2) Can cities ever be voluntarily removed? (the rules say that they can be removed-I don't know if this means 'removed voluntarily by the owning player' or 'removed as the result of a land battle' or both). For instance, Corinth has 5 place city cards (plus their starting city), and only 4 cities. I haven't played, but I could imagine a city being in a threatening position at one point in the game, and it being beneficial to remove it and place it (with a card) in a different, more secure location.

Thanks,

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, you may only place a city when a card instructs you to do so.

2. The rules say on page 10: "At any time during your turn, you may remove your own piece from the board to make it available." So yes, you can voluntarily remove cities, as they are also pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loïc Boué
France
VITRY SUR SEINE
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Would the voluntary removal of a city earn a VP to the opposing side?

I guess yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Torc wrote:
Would the voluntary removal of a city earn a VP to the opposing side?

I guess yes.

No, to quote the rules:
"Throughout the game, gain +1 Victory Point whenever an enemy
City is removed on your turn."

Your opponent can't remove its own city during your turn, and you don't score points if it's not your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that opens a tactic I hadn't thought of: Abandoning cities to avoid losing a point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost never worth it. At least you force the opponent to spend the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.