Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
This week, Rob and Jean who had not played the game were present, and Rob had read some of the rules. Don explained the rules to them, and we were off. Player order was myself (Tharsis Republic), Rob (beginner corporation), Jean (beginner corporation), Ken (Mining Guild) and Don (Interplanetary Cinematics).

I had kept 8 cards, leaving me only 16 M€ to spend in the first round. I had kept the card that requires 7 science symbols, but when played reduces further card cost by 2 M€. I had a card that gave 2 science symbols, so I had some inkling of a plan where I could focus on science, fund a science award and Marvin’s your uncle. I also had the Noctis City card in my hand, so my first required action from the Tharsis republic was to play a city 2 hexes away from Noctis City, with an eye to build an evergreen tile between those 2 places. I also played Rover Construction which gives 2 M€ everytime someone plays a city. The Tharsis ability also gives you a 1 M€ increase in production when a city is placed on Mars.

Rob played the Media Corp which gives him 3 M€ off event cards. Jean had the best flying start. He played the Mohole area giving him 4 heat production, then he played robotic warfare which copies a building production and he had 8 heat production on the first turn! Don got down a steel elevator.

Since the beginning corporations had 10 cards and 42 M€, both Rob and Jean got to play many cards. It looked grim for the advanced corporations.

Since Ken and I had the least income, we kept asking each other how many cards we had, with an eye to claiming the 16 card milestone. But it wasn’t until turn 4 or 5, I got a card that required 3 science tags, AI central that cost 21 M€, but as an action you can draw 2 cards. That’s when my game started to take off. I used AI central to eventually draw enough cards to claim the last milestone, the 16 cards in hand. Earlier, Jean had claimed the 8 building tags, while Rob had claimed 3 evergreen tiles.

Getting up to 5 science tags, I funded the scientist award. I was the first one to fund an award. Getting up to 5 science, allowed me to play an event card which gives 6 energy production; I think it was called mass converter.

Rob had the most plant production and he had a card that lets you convert titanium into a fighter, worth 1 VP a fighter. Jean played a card which set his production back 2 putting Rob back to zero, and neutralizing the fighter card. Rob later got his revenge by playing a card and wiping out 6 of Jean’s plants.

On turn 8, Jean paid $34 to fund 2 awards: the banker and thermalist. His 8 heat per turn was going to claim the thermalist easily. In the post mortem, he should have funded the miner instead, since not many cities were on the board, and I was going to get M€ production when the cities came on the board. Jean said as a newbie he didn’t know that the M€ production was going to increase rapidly; he was leading with 7 M€ at the time, which an experienced player can tell you is not enough, but without looking at Jean’s cards, I assumed he had cards which increased his M€.

I got another event card that pays 2 M€ off for each space symbol card. Towards the end, I gotplayed the card requiring 7 science symbol gives you 2 M€ off per card. So I was getting 4 M€ off a card (earlier in the game I had paid 23 M€ for Earth Catapult which scard payment by 2 M€ .) got to enjoy this for about 2 rounds.

On the last round I was able to place the card that gives 1 VP for every 3 cities, worth 4 VPs to me

Scores:
Norbert 64 (25 TR, 5 Planner, 5 banker, 5 scientist, 2 thermalist, 2 greenery tiles, 5 city, 15 cards),
Rob 56 (33 TR, 5 Gardener, 6 greenery tiles, 3 cities, 9 cards),
Ken 53 (30 TR, 2 banker, 3 greenery tiles, 7 cities, 11 cards),
Jean 52 (29 TR, 5 builder, 5 thermalist, 2 greenery, 3 cities, 8 cards),
Don 51 (28 TR, 2 scientist, 2 greenery tiles, 7 cities, 12 cards)

I am yellow, Rob is red, Ken is green, Jean is blue and Don is white.

I had a really slow start but the AI central allowing me to draw 2 cards really helped, and once I was able to reduce my card cost by 4 M€ my game really took off.

My winning tableau. Sorry for the blurry pictures. I got a new phone, and I haven't learned how to focus yet.

I imagine we will be playing this for another few weeks straight. I had thought there was a variant where you could start with 1 production and play the advanced corporations, to speed up the play, but reading the rules I didn’t see it. This game took about 3 hrs, but I was fully engaged the whole time, and I think everyone else was as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The advanced corporations don't decide the starting production, it's the corporate era cards that sets it. Start with a production of one if you do not use the corporate era cards, those with the little red icon bottom left on the cards, and with no starting production when you play with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, nice session report and nice win. Just reading your post makes me want to skip work tonight and go to our Monday Night Gaming Group and play another game of Terraforming Mars. I bought it a few weeks ago and I think we played it 5 times in the first week we had it. Everyone loved it and even though each game took between 2 1/2 - 3 hours to play, the time seemed to zip by. Got very busy and have not had a chance to play it for the last week or so but after reading your post, we will make time to get a few plays in this week and I know we will get it played a lot at BGGCon next week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Steinberger
Germany
Taunusstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are these 2 abonded cities and greenery tiles on the sides of the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneJericho wrote:

They belong to white, the transparent cube color. It doesn't show up on the picture very well, but if you magnify it you can see the transparent/white cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, those brown special tiles should have a player markers on them as well. They count to the landlord award if someone claims it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
LoneJericho wrote:

They belong to white, the transparent cube color. It doesn't show up on the picture very well, but if you magnify it you can see the transparent/white cubes.

Do some games have different coloured cubes? Mine has blue, yellow, red, green and black. I didn't think white was an option...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
By the way, those brown special tiles should have a player markers on them as well. They count to the landlord award if someone claims it.

Right, what happened was that some of the blue cubes were removed before I took the picture. So we have been playing with cubes on the brown tiles. Thanks for the reminder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Steinberger
Germany
Taunusstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:
LoneJericho wrote:

Do some games have different coloured cubes? Mine has blue, yellow, red, green and black. I didn't think white was an option...

Same here ... I thought Norbert was just mistaking White with Black ...

I don't have any white or transparent cubes in my box either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneJericho wrote:
Relax wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:
LoneJericho wrote:

Same here ... I thought Norbert was just mistaking White with Black ...

I don't have any white or transparent cubes in my box either.

Sorry, I am mistaking the black for white. The black shading is so transparent, they look like white.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.