Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played other similar games where you can only use ranged attacks when you're not adjacent to ANY another enemy. I thought I'd read that for this game, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Is that supposed to be the case? I feel that it would have made it easier to counter certain characters if that were the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct. It's on page 10 of the rules under the Ranged Attack meanings for the symbols. "Choose an enemy at least 2 spaces away from your character that your character has line of sight to...." It's also on page 13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he's referring to the fact that enemy units adjacent don't disrupt ranged combat for target units outside of melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Thematically, I see no reason you can't smack a guy standing next to you and the throw a shuriken and some guy a couple of spaces away. Nor have I seen or heard anything to the contrary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having enemies adjacent to you doesn't stop you from throwing a ranged strike at a non-adjacent enemy. Characters are always flipping around, jumping up a bit, and throwing shurikens at distant enemies while still fighting off dudes in melee in the comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you were thinking of Raph's Sai throw special attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saud M.
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:
Having enemies adjacent to you doesn't stop you from throwing a ranged strike at a non-adjacent enemy. Characters are always flipping around, jumping up a bit, and throwing shurikens at distant enemies while still fighting off dudes in melee in the comics.
What about a ranged attack against a target that is seemingly adjacent, but is on an elevated terrain?

The rules sate that it's the distance +2 spaces when calculating the range. Does that make it range 3 if the target is right above you because it's 1 space away +2 for elevation? Or is it just considered at range 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
SolidRoar wrote:
KevinW wrote:
What about a ranged attack against a target that is seemingly adjacent, but is on an elevated terrain?

The rules sate that it's the distance +2 spaces when calculating the range. Does that make it range 3 if the target is right above you because it's 1 space away +2 for elevation? Or is it just considered at range 2?

The terrain card says that "Figures in elevated terrain are considered to be 2 extra spaces away" So that would be in addition to what ever the normal range is. Meaning it would be range three if someone was in the square next to them on the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Trueman
Canada
flag msg tools
How does a player firing from elevated terrain calculate firing at a low player next to them? I'm trying to wrap my head around this mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tallgeese_2_87 wrote:
How does a player firing from elevated terrain calculate firing at a low player next to them? I'm trying to wrap my head around this mechanic.

Insofar as I can tell, an Upper Figure firing at a Lower Figure rolls the ranged attack as normal, as if they were both on the same level. There's no penalty or modification to the range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tallgeese_2_87 wrote:

When shooting up at someone standing on elevated terrain, you add +2 to the range. So if you are standing next to your target, but they are elevated and you are not it is a total of 3 spaces. You can shoot but will take the penalty for shooting more than 2 spaces unless you have a special ability that says otherwise.

There is no penalty for shooting down *from* elevated terrain, or from shooting from one space of elevated terrain to another.

Normally you cannot use a ranged attack against an adjacent target but because you are elevated they are not considered adjacent but the spaces still count. So if your target is in the space next to you but you are elevated and they are not, the range is 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.