$35.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » Rules

Subject: LoS Blocking Terrain. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, only blocking Terrain and closed doors affect line of sight? So you can shoot over cars and through trees? A bit confused.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read a little past the part about blocking terrain it also talks about "any other terrain that blocks line of sight, such as obscuring terrain." So this would include Steam Jets, Computer Bays, Shipping Containers, etc. Line of Sight rules for games are usually based on using your best judgment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically, only blocking and obscuring terrain block LoS so far. Ranged attacks tend to be very short range in this game anyway, and I didn't want to restrict them too much further.

Remember too that attacking 'upwards' onto elevated terrain with a ranged strike adds +2 to the range, and covered terrain also reduces your chance to hit a target in it.

With terrain in TMNT, I wanted it to be more about creating 'texture' on the map than about restricting the players' fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wait.... so figures at ground level on opposite sides of a building can shoot each other?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
Wait.... so figures at ground level on opposite sides of a building can shoot each other?


Don't buildings have blocking terrain?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
Wait.... so figures at ground level on opposite sides of a building can shoot each other?


Possibly in theory, but the buildings are so large that I can't imagine either attack actually hitting their target.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
thetrout wrote:
igelkott255 wrote:
Wait.... so figures at ground level on opposite sides of a building can shoot each other?


Possibly in theory, but the buildings are so large that I can't imagine either attack actually hitting their target.

I believe their point was that Kevin did not mention elevated terrain as something that blocks LoS, which would mean that, by rule, characters on opposite sides of buildings could shoot at each other...assuming they were in range.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
thetrout wrote:
igelkott255 wrote:
Wait.... so figures at ground level on opposite sides of a building can shoot each other?


Possibly in theory, but the buildings are so large that I can't imagine either attack actually hitting their target.

I believe their point was that Kevin did not mention elevated terrain as something that blocks LoS, which would mean that, by rule, characters on opposite sides of buildings could shoot at each other...assuming they were in range.


Right, and what I'm saying is that the buildings are so many spaces wide that even if you attempted a ranged attack on someone on the other aside, it would never possibly hit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
thetrout wrote:
the buildings are so many spaces wide that even if you attempted a ranged attack on someone on the other aside, it would never possibly hit.

Actually, the buildings are so many spaces long. I make the distinction because for now at least to point is moot if you are playing the premade scenarios. But if you homebrew a scenario with a map to the side of the buildings, or if an expansion scenario does this, then it becomes an issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
Wait.... so figures at ground level on opposite sides of a building can shoot each other?


Yes, as written, that's true. Feel free to house rule it if it offends you too much, but as I've said, I wanted to avoid restricting ranged strikes too much (and space on the terrain cards is limited) so I made the call that I felt made the game play more fun rather than more realistic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Trueman
Canada
flag msg tools
My friends and I were trying to figure out what the difference was between firing upwards and firing downwards. The terrain card wasn't quite clear enough wording for us. Is the range for firing upwards adding plus two on top of the range? So if two figures were in adjacent space but one on low ground firing up would have 2 range from distance +2 for firing from low to high? Whereas the higher player only fires at a 2 range due to elevated. I guess my question is if there is a penalty firing up compared to firing down .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tallgeese_2_87 wrote:
My friends and I were trying to figure out what the difference was between firing upwards and firing downwards. The terrain card wasn't quite clear enough wording for us. Is the range for firing upwards adding plus two on top of the range? So if two figures were in adjacent space but one on low ground firing up would have 2 range from distance +2 for firing from low to high? Whereas the higher player only fires at a 2 range due to elevated. I guess my question is if there is a penalty firing up compared to firing down .


My understanding is that, when firing down from a building, there's no penalty, but when firing up from the street, you add two to the range.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
thetrout wrote:
the buildings are so many spaces wide that even if you attempted a ranged attack on someone on the other aside, it would never possibly hit.

Actually, the buildings are so many spaces long. I make the distinction because for now at least to point is moot if you are playing the premade scenarios. But if you homebrew a scenario with a map to the side of the buildings, or if an expansion scenario does this, then it becomes an issue.


The Pizza building is 6 spaces long so an enemy is at range 7. Raph uses uses Hurl Sai ability which is attack +3 and range doesn't begin decreasing until after 4 spaces. So 5 dice minus 3 for range is 2 dice left. He can then add on however many additional shuriken symbols he rolls (-2 to activate the special ability) so it's quite possible to do damage through a building.

Kevin, I'm OK with the ruling... it's just non-intuitive. This is the way I'll play it in the future. I guess there are lots of windows in the buildings and they can just throw/shoot through the windows....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
So 5 dice minus 3 for range is 2 dice left.


I believe you subtract two hits, not two dice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
igelkott255 wrote:
So 5 dice minus 3 for range is 2 dice left.


I believe you subtract two hits, not two dice.


Correct, it isn't dice that are subtracted for range. You always roll the full number of dice for the ranged attack. You roll the dice, determine the number of hits, subtract hits for the range penalty, then the defender rolls defense dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, you're right.... I misread it.... thanks for letting me know!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.