Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the shortest game of Scythe tonight that I've ever had, and it was even a 4-player game. Hopefully I've remembered enough detail that it will be coherent.

The setup:
myself, somewhat-experienced player, with Polania (Patriotic)
a first-timer, with Nordic (Agricultural)
another somewhat-experienced player, with Crimea (Engineering, I think?)
a 2nd-3rd time player, with Saxony (Industrial)

(*) will mark where I earned stars.

I traded for oil on my 1st turn, then moved and upgraded on my 2nd turn. I repeated those for my 3rd and 4th turns, decreasing my Build cost each time. In addition, I claimed the first of many double-encounters, in which I lucked out and got myself my speed mech.

On my 5th turn, I traded for wood and built my mine. From there I was able to quickly escape my starting peninsula and appear in the south. I blocked both Crimea's riverwalk, and the Saxony's plan to move out, then picked up a second double-encounter which gave me 3 more combat cards.

Saxony then attacked me, which I won(*). I believe this is when I took my sole turn of producing, and Enlisted my only recruit of the game for two combat cards. This completed my objective of a combat victory and at least 8 combat cards in hand(*).

Next, I moved to the factory. As the first there, I took the card that let me pay one popularity for either a mech or a building. From here, I alternated Move/Upgrade with my Factory action as much as I could. I first gained my Submerge mech, and then grabbed another encounter.

At this point Crimea had managed to escape, so I payed popularity to deploy my camraderie mech, then on the next turn attacked him with 2 or 3 units, winning(*) his oil and getting myself another upgrade.

In the next few turns, I built my armory and monument, as well as actually paying metal to deploy my final mech(*) (and Bolster a few combat points). Then I lucked out with another good double-encounter, gaining 2 oil, a popularity, and an extra upgrade. Since that encounter was on a Move action, I then had the 2 oil for my final upgrade(*).

In the meantime, I had been kicked out of the factory and lost control. So I waited an extra turn so I could maneuver back to the factory and regain control, as well as distribute my mechs and workers to have control of more territory. Then on the following turn, I paid a popularity to build my final building(*), ending the game.

I'm pretty sure if the Nordic newby had played her last turn differently, she would have come out on top. When I took the factory back from her on my second-to-last turn, she retreated to the adjacent lake. If she had saved combat points when I attacked, she would have been able to retake the factory, and that would have swung the game in her favor. Instead, she tried to hold the factory, and didn't have the strength to retake it. (I forgot she'd gotten her factory card, and could therefore move again even though she'd used Move on her previous turn.)

I won, 43-34-34-24. No one else had more than 3 stars. I never produced a worker beyond my starting two, ended up with only 1 popularity and no combat power, and likely would have been absolutely destroyed if the game had gone longer. I definitely had good luck in encounter cards and factory cards. I got 6 of the 11 encounter spaces. In all, I think the entire game lasted around 15-17 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the features of this game that I have wondered about - getting a break with the hidden Encounters, which you don't know what they will offer you until you move into that space to reveal the token. Additionally, the tunnels seem to create too much chaos as they allow for movement to most any part of the board, to accomplish some objective or attack a weak opponent space for an easy Star. And I only counted 6 Stars for you in your session, I thought you needed 7 Stars to finish the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Encounters are fun and can definitely get you a nice boost when you need it -- but at this point, unless I'm playing Polania, I usually only grab them if they're convenient, especially later in the game when they might offer me something I no longer need. I'd say they're pretty well balanced.

If this game didn't have tunnels, I'm not sure I'd play it. They don't create "chaos" so much as they create "a need to watch your flanks and keep your power up." Because of the tunnel network, it's very hard to turtle, and factions who don't try to stay at least a little competitive in the military game are taking big gambles. You're right in that they do allow players to grab objectives or attack weak opponents -- so since you know that, plan for it.

And it is six stars that end the game, not seven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Poland is very strong grabbing 2 rewards off each card (usually the good and neutral option). You need to block the encounters or get them yourself or I've seen Poland run away with the game like this. Scythe being a race game takes players some time realize the fastest path to victory for their board combos. If you got a slower board you need to adjust and slow down those with a quicker win state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordon
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:

Saxony then attacked me, which I won(*). I believe this is when I took my sole turn of producing, and Enlisted my only recruit of the game for two combat cards. This completed my objective of a combat victory and at least 8 combat cards in hand(*).

Was this played correctly? I don't have my objective cards with me, but I don't think you can complete this objective by winning a combat with less than 8 combat cards and then getting to 8 combat cards after the fact with another action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Turgid wrote:
flaquito wrote:

Was this played correctly? I don't have my objective cards with me, but I don't think you can complete this objective by winning a combat with less than 8 combat cards and then getting to 8 combat cards after the fact with another action?

Why not?
Objective card #23 says "Have 8 or more combat cards in hand and at least 1
combat victory star".
So there is no requirement at all to have 8 combat cards when you get your combat victory star. You just have to have both the star and 8 or more combat cards at some point during your turn. Which is what the OP described in the quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The key is that you need to have 8 combat cards and 1 combat star at the moment when you accomplish (discard) the objective card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Zappala
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Kudos! Nice session report, and congratulations on your victory.

White's early development can be quite powerful. There is the possibility of (sorry, I don't have the cards in front of me), around 8 resources of possibly varying types and/or a mech/building/recruit/upgrade that are worth 3 or 4 resources, if one is willing to pay $3-$4 and 2 popularity (not to mention the turns saved by doubling up on encounters!).

An early factory can also be quite amazing, especially one that has a payment of a combat card, for white starts with 3 of them.

The one criticism I have of your strategy is: I think that no matter how tempting it is to do a trade-for-2-oil, into a move-upgrade, is that one might find the oil one needs at its first encounter, so I like the 1) move, 2) trade, 3) move-to-encounter a little bit better. I think that the encounter a turn earlier is worth the lack of a second-turn upgrade. That being said, I also don't think it is a bad thing to do either, it is just my preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.