Gethyn Edwards
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Hi all

Couple of things on Aces:

Thing one:
So the rules say that if an Ace is "wounded", he loses his Ace status.
Two questions on that, if anyone can help out.

1. Is a Light Wound still a wound under these terms?

2. If an Ace recovers from his wounds, does he get his Ace-ness back next mission?

Thing Two:
I know there's a variant around involving ways to "Ace-up" by counting hits as well as kills, with fractional points for different aircraft, damage and pilot skill, etc.

This seems like a headache to me, but a kills-only system seems too harsh to those guys who keep getting FBOAs.
I've started totting up hits as well as kills: 2 x FBOA = 1 kill; 2 x FCA = FBOA.
Anyone do anything similar - works well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A wound is a wound.

So 1) even a light wound will remove the *Ace* status.
and 2) yes, an Ace without a wound will be fully functioning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhteg wrote:
Hi all

Couple of things on Aces:

Thing one:
So the rules say that if an Ace is "wounded", he loses his Ace status.
Two questions on that, if anyone can help out.

1. Is a Light Wound still a wound under these terms?

2. If an Ace recovers from his wounds, does he get his Ace-ness back next mission?

Q-1) Yes
Q-2) Yes

nyhteg wrote:

...I know there's a variant around involving ways to "Ace-up" by counting hits

I've started totting up hits as well as kills: 2 x FBOA = 1 kill; 2 x FCA = FBOA.

Anyone do anything similar - works well for me.

I have three different copies of this variant chart. All are very close yet one incorporates the Expert and the Novice status too. The one I like best rates the planes and the German pilot skills with points. ie Me110 a kill is 1.25 and a FBOA is 0.5 and so on. Also you gain points if the pilot is an Ace or loose points if he is green. These systems are nice but I agree with you that it is more paper work than I want to get into. Besides, getting Ace Hood with five Claimed kills is quicker than they were confirmed. The 8th AAF only confirmed around 10% of the kills claimed, due to multiple claims for one downed E/A.

I do like your take on the skill factor. It is simple and clean for book keeping.

Jim P cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gethyn Edwards
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Mik, Jim, thanks for your helpful replies.
I was afraid that might be the case with the wounds - I'll tell my new Ace to keep his head down... laugh

My rough and ready method for kill-counting does what I need it to, but I can appreciate that the real B-17 grognards out there might balk at the lack of fine detail.

In terms of record-keeping I keep track using asterisks for each kill - that way I can simply build them one line at a time (each line = 1 FCA) without needing to keep rubbing my notes out.

G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.