Popular Tags: [View All]
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
How many extra buildings should be available for purchase to start the game? Are they meant to be chosen randomly?

Geez, compared to the top notch production value of this game, this is not a very good rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It sounds like you can use this file uploaded by the designer: Building Setup Reference Card v1

Plus:

- For 2 Players, you need to setup 8 Action Buildings + 4 VP Buildings = 12 total
- For 3-4 Players, you need to setup 16 Action Buildings + 4 VP Buildings = 20 total
- With the 5th Player expansion: Setup 20 Action Buildings + 5 VP Buildings = 25

The beige box on page 2 of the core rulebook lists a suggested setup for a 2-player game. It's a little misleading as two of the buildings listed are VP buildings, which you need to use all of anyway. If you're playing a 3-4 player game and only have the core game, then you use all the buildings.

So according to page 2, there is no randomization when playing with 3-4 players and the core game. If playing with 2 players and the core game, and don't want to use the suggested list on page 2, then you can randomize all you want as long as you use all four of the VP buildings and any 8 Action Buildings. Just beware that some buildings don't work well for a 2-player game (as indicated on the building setup aid).

Things get much more interesting with the Rising Tide expansion, which is where the Building Setup Reference card that I linked to above, comes in handy! As I have the RT expansion, I always pull random Building Tiles. The reference card does a good job at providing guidance on which tiles to put into the pool that you draw from!

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response but wow is this an awful rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the rule book easy. And playing the first game a breeze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:

Glad to hear that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:

Same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Collins
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
dstair2002 wrote:

Same here.

Ditto. To the OP, can you maybe clarify what about the rulebook you found "awful"? After one read-through, we were all clear on the rules, and on the odd occasion where we had to look something up, we found the answer quickly. Everything seemed well-organized, and unambiguously explained.

With regard to the original question, on page 2, in the "Setup" section, it says "For 3-4 Player games, use all Building tiles". I'm not sure what could be unclear about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the expansion, why is it recommended to use an even mix of base game and expansion buildings? Is that a balance thing?

As well, should the 5th player expansion buildings ONLY be used when playing 5 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheeseburger wrote:
With the expansion, why is it recommended to use an even mix of base game and expansion buildings? Is that a balance thing?

As well, should the 5th player expansion buildings ONLY be used when playing 5 players?

It's mostly to ensure a more interesting mix of strategies. Some of the buildings in the expansion are less general-purpose than the base game buildings. But there's no reason you can't use them all at once, which is why it's only a recommendation.

The 5th player buildings could be used in a 4-player game without much trouble, but below 4 players they are either underpowered, or detract from more interesting moves. (The Almshouse, for instance, isn't overpowered on a strictly value per action basis. $3 is a poor return on an action. But in a 2-player game the net benefit to the owner is double, so both players end up spending a lot of turns to use or defend against a single building. ) It's the same reason we recommend not using the Inn or Post Office for 2-players.

But above all, we want players to feel free to use whatever combination of buildings looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikey Boy wrote:
SapoLJackson wrote:
dstair2002 wrote:

Same here.

Ditto. To the OP, can you maybe clarify what about the rulebook you found "awful"? After one read-through, we were all clear on the rules, and on the odd occasion where we had to look something up, we found the answer quickly. Everything seemed well-organized, and unambiguously explained.

With regard to the original question, on page 2, in the "Setup" section, it says "For 3-4 Player games, use all Building tiles". I'm not sure what could be unclear about that.

The rule book, and the lack of tile markings, are poor with regard to the building tiles used when playing with the expansion. It is very confusing which tiles should be used by player count. Sorting the tiles, as they lack any marking to denote from where they came, is an issue when setting up, or putting away, the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.