16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Sekigahara or Polis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at getting a two-player historicalish 'wargame.' Sekigahara has been on my radar for a while and I just saw that the third edition is available now.

But I came across Polis again while searching online. It's one I had heard about but never looked much into. Reading some reviews, it seems pretty good as well.

I'm interested in both of the time periods, so there's no clear advantage there. I tend to like simpler rules with deep gameplay. A quick board setup is a bonus as well. Sekigahara seems like it might have a bit of an edge in those departments.

However, Polis seems like it has random events or some such thing, which could add replayability. Polis also seems like it may have more going on with balancing resources, etc.

Just looking for some opinions on which game they prefer and why. I may eventually get both, but I'm only going to pick one up this year.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Go nuts. Get both. They are both very good games that play very differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Sekigahara three times with two different people. Going to play again this week. It's been great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While you're at it, you may also want to consider Wir sind das Volk! in that short, tight, tense political-economic-wargame for 2 category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I ever bought one it would be seki.

I am not in love with either one, though.

(Hammer of the scots or twilight struggle are the things I make people play...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
I've played Sekigahara three times with two different people. Going to play again this week. It's been great.

About how long have the playtimes been?

Marc, I'll take a look - thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puresand
Finland
flag msg tools
Wow Sekigahara is another game I had no idea about before, but certainly people really seem to like this one. I have been thinking of purchasing Polis (and Antike Duellum) at some point, and for sure Sekigahara seems to also be a great game, much worth a purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like both of these games. Polis is much less forgiving for bad play though. Seki involves some elements of bluffing and trying to give the appearance of strength even if you hand doesn't say so.

I might pick Seki first because it's a bit more accessible for newer players but both are great and if you have someone to play with consistently I can't really say one is better than the other they are two of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good. Sekigahara, however, is utterly great, and one of the more elegant games I've come across in the past decade. Highly recommended gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others said, both are absolutely fabulous games. They are both games that are hybrids, with respect to the genre, so I think these are good choices for a foray toward that end of the gaming spectrum.

However, I also think that neither of these is an easy game to learn. I agree that Sekigahara is probably the better choice, as it may be easier to get into. Polis is a fantastic game, but the learning curve is absolutely brutal.

Also you mentioned replay-ability. That won't be an issue with either of these games, they are both highly replayable and remain very engaging play after play. I do not think Polis' random elements change that fact in any way, nor give it an edge.

You know that if you enjoy one, that you are going to end up getting the other, right? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the window on getting sekigahara for a good price might not be huge. It could be a year from now its out if stock again.

I dunno about polis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Both are good. Sekigahara, however, is utterly great, and one of the more elegant games I've come across in the past decade. Highly recommended gem.

Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeedsNewDice wrote:
stevepop wrote:

About how long have the playtimes been?

Marc, I'll take a look - thanks for the suggestion!

3 hours, 2 hours, 2 hours in that order.

Edit: The 4th game was 2.5 hours. Best game so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm picking up Sekigahara this week. I suspect I'll get to Polis eventually, but it seems Sekigahara might be easier to get to the table with a little smoother rules. Thanks for the comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Christmas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.