Heroes of Normandie» Forums » General

Subject: Could you play without cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Player Red
United States
California
flag msg tools
Would the game lose anything if you played without cards? Or limit hand size to one?

The game has a lot of rules, and it's hard to keep track of everything at once. Wondering if eliminating/limiting cards makes it more accessible.

Player Red
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with my sons without cards. They are pretty young, so we just move and shoot. The game is fine that way, though much more predictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cards are indeed the biggest random element in the game and as such add a lot of the fun factor.

playing without them does make things predictable and will likely increase the time needed to play as tough enemies are difficult to take out without bonuses from cards.
for timed scenarios its not a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
For a long while the computer version was without cards. I think they add fun and options with limited overhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pascal bons
France
les moitiers d'allonne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play without cards with my son, I think that the game is faster this way, you can concentrate on the board and the tactics, you have less bad surprises. Cards add chaos and chrome to the game, with them you can do heroic hollywood style actions. It adds mess and fun surely, but I like HoN with no cards as much as with cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think the game loses a significant part of its "heroic" and "Hollywood action" flavor when you remove the cards. More often than not, the cards contribute to the moments you most remember from a game.

However, you certainly can play the game without the cards, so by all means play with the cards and find a balance that works for you. Without the cards you might want to allow each side to purchase a bit of extra equipment to make up for the missing factor from the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavier, I think adding some extra equipment in there to compensate for no cards is a smooth idea. Personally, I love the cards. I have also found that in general the cards do not add much complexity for new players, but I think that is going to vary tremendously with the age and experience of the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pascal bons
France
les moitiers d'allonne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For new gamers, if you want to play with cards, you can reduce the deck (it's what I tend to do in my scenarios), and keep some easy cards (the print'n'play demo deck is a good start). Cards goes with HoN since Frontières. They are essential with Frontières (to get the feel of very distinct armies : aliens VS humans), they are not that essential with HoN (similar armies, even if there's doctrine differences beetween nations)...
If you want to play with cards, you can also give one card for the first turn, then two, then three, then four, then play by the rules, it gives new players time to figure out how to play units and how to play cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.