Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game» Forums » General

Subject: Differences 1st-3rd edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doxa Dramas
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you please tell me which are the differences between 1st and 3rd edition of Ascension? I have the 1st edition (2010) and I want to know if there is a reason to buy the 3rd editon. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you're talking about the first edition of Chronicles of the Godslayer (the first set):

1) Changed the name to Ascension Deckbuilding Game,
2) Redid most of the art, including new card frames,
3) Probably some tweaks to rules text for clarity, but no fundamental changes to card rules, and
4) Standardized card size -- the 1st edition cards are not quite the same size as cards from other Ascension sets, so this facilitates mixing them.

The card list is the same and the cards work the same. There shouldn't be any functional changes. You should get the third edition if you really like the new art (you can examples on the Internet) or if you want to mix your Chronicles set with other Ascension boxes (Return of the Fallen, Realms Unraveled, Dreamscape, etc.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doxa Dramas
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any addition of solo rules?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mahdi83 wrote:
Is there any addition of solo rules?

The solo rules have remained unchanged across each of the versions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doxa Dramas
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huuuze wrote:
mahdi83 wrote:
Is there any addition of solo rules?

The solo rules have remained unchanged across each of the versions.
There are no solo rules in 1st edition if that's what you mean. I play it with the variants.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mahdi83 wrote:
Huuuze wrote:
mahdi83 wrote:
Is there any addition of solo rules?

The solo rules have remained unchanged across each of the versions.
There are no solo rules in 1st edition if that's what you mean. I play it with the variants.


Here is the official solo variant.
http://ascensiongame.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/2013/0...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mahdi83 wrote:
There are no solo rules in 1st edition if that's what you mean. I play it with the variants.

And one of those variants is a solitaire mode. Here's the instruction guide that details it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mahdi83 wrote:
Could you please tell me which are the differences between 1st and 3rd edition of Ascension? I have the 1st edition (2010) and I want to know if there is a reason to buy the 3rd editon. Thanks!
For me the biggest difference is that the gameboard and the cards look a lot better! But may be that is just taste. I really like the looks of the 3rd.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the original cards -- I like the art in new sets, but with the exception of one or two cards, I like the original Chronicles art better than the updated ones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluss Burrito
Germany
NW
flag msg tools
badge
123456789
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing solo, I play the first two turns for me and the AI based on my drawn resources.

Example:
When my first hand is 4 runes and one attack, samael will also play thes same hand and will acquire what ever gets him the most points.

After my fist shuffle, I play according to the official solo rules or the variant found in the files section.

This gives me 2-3 turns, that feel more like a player ys. Player game and gives me some time to get my beginning strategy up and running, without changing the complete center row and destroying my initial plan to play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doxa Dramas
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone please tell me which are the exact dimensions of a card of 1st edition and the exact dimensions of a card of 3rd edition. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mahdi83 wrote:
Could someone please tell me which are the exact dimensions of a card of 1st edition and the exact dimensions of a card of 3rd edition. Thanks!

I can look it up in the office on Monday. In the meantime, is there a reason you need the exact dimensions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doxa Dramas
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huuuze wrote:
mahdi83 wrote:
Could someone please tell me which are the exact dimensions of a card of 1st edition and the exact dimensions of a card of 3rd edition. Thanks!

I can look it up in the office on Monday. In the meantime, is there a reason you need the exact dimensions?
OK thanks. I am thinking about a variant using some mtg cards and its crusial to have exact the same dimensions with mtg.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mahdi83 wrote:
OK thanks. I am thinking about a variant using some mtg cards and its crusial to have exact the same dimensions with mtg.

I would avoid the very first edition of Ascension. Cards from the 3rd edition match the size of Magic cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.