Shawn McCool
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I target an adjacent region with the artillery cannon, then lose control of the region that contains the cannon, does the token still participate in human combat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Now that's a truly wonderful, brilliant, and amazingly nutty question!

And now its time for Fun With Rules (dedicated to Dr. Sheldon Cooper).

I'm guessing not, because:

1. You can't activate an enemy occupied structure.

2. You can't affect a token once it is placed on a Battle Objective.

3. It would be really fun to mess with the Humans this way!

Although they might rule the other way, because:

1. You can't in general affect a Battle Region once it is designated as such.

2. For simplicity.

Conclusion: speaking as someone who has posted many Unofficial (But Official As Possible) FAQs on many games, The Rules Rule is:

Its always wise to be non-dogmatic about the rules!

Grant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShawnMcCool wrote:
If I target an adjacent region with the artillery cannon, then lose control of the region that contains the cannon, does the token still participate in human combat?

The token would still work in a battle involving the humans. The loss of control of the structure that created the token, doesn't prevent the use of the token it created.

Keep in mind they have ruled that the token is only used in a battle involving the humans. so if the token ends up in a battle region between two other factions it is just discarded at the start of battle resolution.

edit: I was wrong about the second part, just misremembered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCool
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:

Keep in mind they have ruled that the token is only used in a battle involving the humans, so if the token ends up in a battle region between two other factions it is just discarded at the start of battle resolution.

Thank you both for the responses.

My understanding about the token was that it simply waits for the next battle involving humans to become used, being completely ignored for all non-human battles.

I'm seeing this corroborated in other threads and I'm curious if there is some distinction regarding the token being discarded from the game board should other factions battle in that region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShawnMcCool wrote:
jmathias wrote:

Keep in mind they have ruled that the token is only used in a battle involving the humans, so if the token ends up in a battle region between two other factions it is just discarded at the start of battle resolution.

Thank you both for the responses.

My understanding about the token was that it simply waits for the next battle involving humans to become used, being completely ignored for all non-human battles.

I'm seeing this corroborated in other threads and I'm curious if there is some distinction regarding the token being discarded from the game board should other factions battle in that region.

Yup sorry I misspoke I was thinking of another ruling. The token will stay put until a Human involved battle takes place in that region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise Except that tokens go away after the end of a battle (with Humans). According to the rules. Just sayin'...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
surprise Except that tokens go away after the end of a battle (with Humans). According to the rules. Just sayin'...

Can you quote that ruling please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm..without checking, it might actually have been a Grant ruling here. I'll take a look if he doesn't appear soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCool
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
chas59 wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23702419#23702419

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23910875#23910875
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Hmmm..without checking, it might actually have been a Grant ruling here. I'll take a look if he doesn't appear soon.

I ask because the rulebook, nor the FAQ covers this at all. And I was looking for that ruling in the forums and could not find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShawnMcCool wrote:
jmathias wrote:
chas59 wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23910875#23910875

That is about moving tokens when they are all on the board, not about removing them after battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCool
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:

That is about moving tokens when they are all on the board, not about removing them after battles.

I respectfully disagree. If you look at the question that's being answered, the solution is somewhat implicitly communicated. I added another URL that is explicit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShawnMcCool wrote:
jmathias wrote:

I respectfully disagree. If you look at the question that's being answered, the solution is somewhat implicitly communicated. I added another URL that is explicit.

OK, the second one is explicit. However, it doesn't change what I said earlier in this thread.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24142759#24142759

Quote:
The token will stay put until a Human involved battle takes place in that region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ShawnMcCool wrote:

If a token is in play, you do not need to control the Region from which the token came...b/c that is a tracking nightmare.

This means that Watchtower, Artillery tokens and Matrix cards (which act as tokens) are in use regardless of the region no longer being controlled.

Thematically: you fired the gun. The artillery position is gone, but the bullet still flies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.