Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: First Game - rules clarification help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shrouded In Mystery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When entering a new space lane and ending movement halfway in, can you swing the spacelane and floating planets immediately to form a connection to an existing planet?

2. Is there any way to add or remove ships from a fleet in warp?

3. Trade agreements are always made face up? IE - both players must agree to the level of production (1,2, or 3) they are giving to the other player and it does not need to be equal, right? One of our players thought it would be face down and you are stuck with what they give you.

4. The Q event was the first thing to come up on my first turn. The Klingon player took my colonization fleet of 3 ships and stuck it right next to his home system. I decided it was valid, despite being terribly disconcerting (I did successfully run away though - yay).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valshier wrote:
1. When entering a new space lane and ending movement halfway in, can you swing the spacelane and floating planets immediately to form a connection to an existing planet?

3. Trade agreements are always made face up? IE - both players must agree to the level of production (1,2, or 3) they are giving to the other player and it does not need to be equal, right? One of our players thought it would be face down and you are stuck with what they give you.

4. The Q event was the first thing to come up on my first turn. The Klingon player took my colonization fleet of 3 ships and stuck it right next to his home system. I decided it was valid, despite being terribly disconcerting (I did successfully run away though - yay).

1) yes, you can connect to an existing planet this way.

2) no, you can only add/remove ships to a fleet that is not moving, a fleet at warp is strictly "on the move" until it has exited warp.

3) its faceup, you negotiate what you give/get and can change it later as desired.

4) Q moves the fleet to a new SYSTEM that must be placed/connected to an existing system, so you cant end up with your fleet in a spacelane sector adjacent to an existing system (ie you will be in a system and between your system and his homeworld will still be a spacelane).
but yeah, that new system can be placed anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shrouded In Mystery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Valshier wrote:

No. To make a connection, you must be in the process of leaving the space lane/system. You cannot make a connection without attempting to move out of a system or space lane. Note, that if you connect to an existing system with enemy ships in it, you will not actually leave the space lane, since you can't enter that sector. However, you must still use a Command to move your ship *as if* you were exiting the space lane, even if you don't actually end up leaving it.

Valshier wrote:

No. A fleet at warp doesn't actually exist anywhere on the board, so they're never in the same sector as your other ships. And you can't add/remove ships while the fleet is moving, either. Adding or removing ships must be done while the fleet is stationary.

Valshier wrote:

Even if they were "secretly" given, any player can voluntarily withdraw their trade agreements at any time, so if they're unhappy with it, they can revoke theirs and try again, resulting in the same effect as doing trade-agreements face-up, but with more hassle. The short answer is, "no." Trade agreements are always public knowledge. There is no hidden information in this game.

Valshier wrote:

Yes, there's nothing wrong with that. Be careful about sending an entire fleet into unknown space. You never know what you'll find there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
[q="Valshier"]1. When entering a new space lane and ending movement halfway in, can you swing the spacelane and floating planets immediately to form a connection to an existing planet?

No. To make a connection, you must be in the process of leaving the space lane/system. You cannot make a connection without attempting to move out of a system or space lane. Note, that if you connect to an existing system with enemy ships in it, you will not actually leave the space lane, since you can't enter that sector. However, you must still use a Command to move your ship *as if* you were exiting the space lane, even if you don't actually end up leaving it.

Angelus is normally on point, but I'm afraid I'm firmly with Nova on this one. You have to be making (or attempting to make) the actual connection to be able to swing anything around. Simply being in the space lane doesn't allow it.

We have been mulling some complex situations where someone is in a floating system, and someone else is trying to max out the space lane connections to their world by parking ships in multiple open-ended lanes. Like in Nova's example, the person in the system could initiate an impulse move to swing their system and one of the open lanes around to make a connection. Even if the enemy is parked in the near end of the open lane (meaning the first player's move will instantly stop because they can't enter the occupied sector). But they have to spend the command to make the move in order to make the connection, even if it doesn't result in their ship physically moving. Clear as mud?

Also, just to confirm, trade agreements don't even have to be traded. That's how lopsided it can be. One player can offer one while the other might not. This could happen if one player is rather weak and wants to offer an incentive to avoid invasion.

And my first game pulled the Q card on the first move, too. LOL. It was dicey, but it led to an immediate trade agreement between the Feds and Romulans rather than a fight. And that early production boost was critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.