5 Posts

Evolution: CLIMATE» Forums » General

Subject: Which carnivore cards should I play with? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kjelle Apers
msg tools
Hi,
I got Evolution, then the second edition cards through the flight expansion kick starter and now the climate converter kit.

The converter kit didn't mention how many carnivores I need to play with, and the second edition mentions 17 carnivore cards. I had 23 however, 6 with a different background. I downloaded the Climate standalone rules and this one only mentions how many total traits card there should be, however I think in order to add them all up there should indeed be 23 carnivores... I don't think I mixed up second edition cards with first editions ones but I'm not 100% sure.

Can anybody tell me how many carnivore cards I need in Climate and, if you can, what their food values should be? It got really confusing with all these editions/expansions/converters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 23 Carnivores in my stand alone CLimate set.
They all have one or more climate (sun or snowflake) symbols on them, so they should be easy to separate out form the non climate cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The explanation in one of the Kickstarter updates (I got the conversion kit) was to take out ALL of the old carnivore cards and replace them with ALL the new carnivore cards.

I believe they included extra carnivore cards to balance out the ratio of carnivore to non-carnivore cards (since they added a lot of new trait cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Climate standalone has 177 trait cards in total, including 23 Carnivore cards. I believe this is the correct count.

I was confused by some of them having different art, but this is a result of the change from 17 Carnivores in the base set to 23 in Climate; it looks like the 6 'extra' Carnivore cards got updated art but the 17 original ones didn't.

However, it's not a mistake, as far as I can tell. If you want to play the base game with the Climate standalone set (and didn't get the extra set of base cards) then you need to remove certain Climate-exclusive trait cards and six Carnivore cards to keep the ratio right with the smaller deck. So you can just pull out the six with alternate art, which are easy to spot because they have a volcano on and show the climate changing.

Short version:

Base game has 129 trait cards including 17 Carnivore cards
Climate has 177 trait cards including 23 Carnivore cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
I was confused by some of them having different art, but this is a result of the change from 17 Carnivores in the base set to 23 in Climate; it looks like the 6 'extra' Carnivore cards got updated art but the 17 original ones didn't.

However, it's not a mistake, as far as I can tell.

It was done on purpose. We made a promise that people who purchased Evolution and the CLIMATE conversion kit would end up with the exact same game and components as people who purchased the CLIMATE stand-alone. This was very important to people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.