Subject: A "Heavyweights" view of SHOW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First it must be said that this is by no means a comprehensive overview of SHOW. At this point the only thing I will be touching upon are the playtest rules and the Vehicle modules(s).

We also need to give a shout-out to Jeffery for his work on the rules set. From what I see, he has put quite a bit of effort into them. If he is next turning his eye towards the core rules, well the game can only be better for it. Thanks.

As for the SHOW rules I have been and continue to, read and rereading them. There is quite a bit to digest. I will tell you right now, when you sit down to absorb them yourself, do it with the cards and a vehicle/gun panel right in front of you. Having those at your finger tips will be helpful. There is a lot to take in.

My guess is that regardless of how the rules are written, someone will not be happy. I consider myself pretty well versed in the core rules to date and have done my fair share of teaching the game. That being said it has taken me a couple reads to get that "AH HA" moment when "now I get it". I am by no means saying things are not well written, it's just pulling all the new pieces together. With SMG, while teaching the game I have had many people tell me the rules seem daunting. To which I say, "let's play a few rounds and then tell me what you think". Invariably, by the third or fourth round everyone gets it. It is going to be the same with learning SHOW. Reading is great, let's play a couple rounds.

I have read through parts and said "what?", only to look over either the Sherman panel shown in the book or my JagdTiger panel and come back with "OK, got it". some sections (Shooting), I am definitely going to want to play through for a better visual of how it works, but again, to me, once I got it, it made sense. All in all, I like what I see and cannot wait to get my hands on the SHOW box. I really want to sit down with a fellow SMG/SDD enthusiast and play a couple of scenarios to really "get it".

The vehicle/gun module(s) are everything we have come to expect from LBG. You get the vehicle/gun panel, SDD standees for the crew, SMG bases as well, along with SHOW backed soldier Action cards for your crew. Then there are the vehicle/gun Action cards and Tactics cards. There are also three sets of markers covering sighting for the vehicle/gun, dismounted/unbuttoned, and the vehicle/gun itself. Everything with that slight burn wood smell I like so much. Once again a first rate product from LBG. It makes me eager to see the rest of the first wave of vehicles and hope a gun or two will be available soon as well.

I highly recommend that you down load and take a look at the rules. There is a wonderful new chapter in the story ahead of us....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris...really looking forward to this next iteration...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.