11 Posts

Evolution: Climate» Forums » Rules

Subject: Migratory effect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Trib
France
flag msg tools
So I played my first game of Climate, it was awesome, but I have no less than 3 different versions of the Migratory effect... And I don't know which one is the true official one !

In the player aid card, it is 2 population loss prevented, and 2 Plant or Meat taken at the end of the feeding phase.

In the cards themselves, it is only 1 population loss prevented, and only plant food taken (so it is useless with carnivore).

And finally in the rule precision, it is also 1 loss prevented, but it just says "food" for the end of feeding phase.

So, how do we must play Migratory ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes!

I will look into this in the office tomorrow. In the mean time, assume the card is correct. It is very very unlikely that the card text is incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hoang
msg tools
The card says to take 2 plant food from the food bank. Am I placing it on my tile or is it going straight to my food bag?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Food always goes to your board first or on your Fat tissue card if the board is full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Official Answer:
beri2 wrote:
Food always goes to your board first or on your Fat tissue card if the board is full.

The reason you get a point for each food eaten is that it's a measure of how successful your species has been at surviving and thriving throughout the course of the game. Food going directly into your Food Bag doesn't make any thematic sense. That could only be explained by magic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Olsen
United States
Port Monmouth
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Yikes!

I will look into this in the office tomorrow. In the mean time, assume the card is correct. It is very very unlikely that the card text is incorrect.

any official ruling on this? the man has a point, there qre 3 different interpretations of Migratory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eaolsen wrote:
domcrap wrote:
Yikes!

any official ruling on this? the man has a point, there qre 3 different interpretations of Migratory.

That was official. The reference sheet has an old version of the card that never got updated. Everything else is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok so migratory is less efficient on a predator, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Trib
France
flag msg tools
Yeah, that's the last issue I would like to be sure about. Because the card says plant, but the rules just say "food". I guess it is in fact just plant, and Migratory is ineffective on carnivore, but I prefer to have an official answer and cancel any doubt remaining
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Migratory on a Carnivore wouldn't provide the Carnivore any extra food, but it isn't completely ineffective because it would still help the Carnivore in protection from Climate effects. Or at least that's how I read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The text on the Migratory card is 100% correct.

The player aid is wrong. For some reason the old version of the card did not get changed when the other traits were changed.

The text in the rules is also correct, but it would be clearer if we added the word Plant before the word food. The rules explanations was designed to support the text on the card. First read the text on any trait card. If you don't understand the card, then read the longer description in the rules.

So like Matt says above, the only benefit Migratory provides to a Carnivore is the protection from Heat and Cold. Though it adds another benefit if it's on another player's species!

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.