5 Posts

In the Year of the Dragon» Forums » General

Subject: Language independent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,I can't seem to find a copy of this game anywhere in the U.K. Is the game language independent? So I would be ok with a German version for example? Also how is this game wit h2 players? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Hi,I can't seem to find a copy of this game anywhere in the U.K. Is the game language independent? So I would be ok with a German version for example? Also how is this game wit h2 players? Thanks.

on the game page...

ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS
Language Dependence
No necessary in-game text

if you click on the icon after "text" you'll see 95% voted for that choice (ie no necessary in-game text)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:

Language is not a problem, not even a little bit.

But it does not play well with 2. The randomness of how the action cards are laid out each round overwhelms the decision-making and removes all of the tension involved in fighting for initiative. It is barely playable with 4, it is really a 5 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Calolziocorte (LC) - Ispra (VA)
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't just enjoy life: I game-design it
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
It is barely playable with 4, it is really a 5 player game.

Maybe.

IMHO: I love playing it in 4. In 3 I'd say that's too easy, in 5 it's lovely but really really challenging: one single mistake and you're out.
Definitely not worthy in 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
dkeisen wrote:
[q="Stevieram"]
But it does not play well with 2. The randomness of how the action cards are laid out each round overwhelms the decision-making and removes all of the tension involved in fighting for initiative. It is barely playable with 4, it is really a 5 player game.

There is quite a bit of disagreement on this point. In fact, I noticed that a review was just posted (by a well-seasoned gamer) that claims it is best with 2.

I personally think it plays well with 2; not quite as well as with more, but still quite well. It also plays very fast. My wife and I (who like things like Caylus and Goa) have played quite a bit of 2p Year of the Dragon because it is shorter than those other games, and with small kids sometimes half an hour is all we have. It packs a lot of strategy into half an hour.

The randomness is the action cards is annoying (take this from someone who hates randomness in any game), but it certainly doesn't overwhelm the fighting for initiative. In fact, a more common criticism of 2-player on the forums here is that initiative is too strong. With more players, there is the option of hanging back and letting other people fight for the lead; with 2 players there isn't. We've found that you have to get initiative at least some of the time, or your opponent can totally destroy you by denying you the actions you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.