Popular Tags: [View All]
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying out the Tibus solo challenge, and I had a question about the blue ability. The ability text says, "Tibus keeps the revealed card, and reveals another." However, it doesn't specify what Tibus receives from the second revealed card. Does he get:

A) Just the faction of the second card, added to his ongoing quest to get one of each faction for a large attack bonus?

B) The faction of the second card, plus the price of the second card as Combat added to the Combat from the original blue card?

C) The faction of the second card, plus the Combat of the second card, plus the faction bonus ability of the second card?

If C, this could lead to a massive turn if he happens to strike a clump of blue cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Glaya, I own the game since some weeks but I didn't play vs. him right now, I just readt both of his cards.

I understood it this way: He draws a blue card and gets the combat bonus for it which is the price of the card. The faction bonus is activated for the blue card and it is placed in front of him. The faction bonus is to draw another card which could be again a blue card and lead to another combat bonus and would be again placed in front of him. Lets say the third card is from another faction, for exmaple a yellow card. It would give him again a combat bonus and the card would be placed in front of him while giving him the faction bonus, 5 health. If he has a card of each faction he gets an additional 15 combat power and a card of each faction which he owns is sacrificed all of his cards are sacrificed. To prevent it stun his champions or let him sacrifice action cards in front of him as you let him discard cards. I hope my explanation is correct, I know it could lead to a massive combat bonus but that's the way I understand it and hey, look at the corner of Tibus card, he is a guild boss so his blue faction bonus has to be strong ;P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Cetnar
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have the exact same questions. The answers to these could have a big impact on gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian from WWG visits sometimes the forum, I am sure he will enlighten us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
look at the corner of Tibus card, he is a guild boss so his blue faction bonus has to be strong ;P

While thematically that would make sense, my gut instinct says it would lead to very swingy gameplay where winning or losing would only depend on how many blue cards you draw. That does not feel right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Salay
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played it this way and yes I got destroyed with too many blue cards on the flop on one turn. I had 4 which did about 21 points of damage in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had my first play, and had this exact scenario come up. If I played with interpretation C then it would have been 25 combat, since the blue was his fourth unique faction, he drew another blue, and then drew a high cost green, which removed one of my guards. All in all, it made me inclined to at least play with interpretation B, where the second card is simply a bump to his damage and does not trigger any faction-specific abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love an official ruling on this!

There's one part of this that sticks out as wrong to me (in bold):
Roger the Alien wrote:
Hi Glaya, I own the game since some weeks but I didn't play vs. him right now, I just readt both of his cards.

I understood it this way: He draws a blue card and gets the combat bonus for it which is the price of the card. The faction bonus is activated for the blue card and it is placed in front of him. The faction bonus is to draw another card which could be again a blue card and lead to another combat bonus and would be again placed in front of him. Lets say the third card is from another faction, for exmaple a yellow card. It would give him again a combat bonus and the card would be placed in front of him while giving him the faction bonus, 5 health. If he has a card of each faction he gets an additional 15 combat power and a card of each faction which he owns is sacrificed. To prevent it stun his champions or let him sacrifice action cards in front of him as you let him discard cards. I hope my explanation is correct, I know it could lead to a massive combat bonus but that's the way I understand it and hey, look at the corner of Tibus card, he is a guild boss so his blue faction bonus has to be strong ;P

The rules on the card seem to state that he sacrifices all of his cards, not just one of each faction. So, basically, he has to start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he sacrifices all of his cards as written on his boss card ;P

modest

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McGlone
United States
Chillicothe
OH
flag msg tools
Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts!!
mbmbmbmbmb
balsak40 wrote:
I've played it this way and yes I got destroyed with too many blue cards on the flop on one turn. I had 4 which did about 21 points of damage in one turn.

Hit me for 31. 3 blue cards totaling 14 then the 4th card gave him 2 attack and a card from each faction.

After 5 games I've found it to be pretty balanced. My games have typically ended with the winner in the single digits or low teens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that if you read the description about his ability carefully...
"The faction ... determines [his] ability for the turn".

I believe you do not trigger the faction ability of a card revealed due to the blue ability.

What is always in effect is the +15 if he has all colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My assumption was correct and I also asked some other questions regarding the Shadow Boss which can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1672340/answers-wwg-regardi...

I hope it clarifies a lot of questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WWG Con 2016!!!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
My assumption was correct and I also asked some other questions regarding the Shadow Boss which can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1672340/answers-wwg-regardi...

It does clarify a lot. Thanks for this...been wondering and commenting in other threads.

I guess I was playing it correctly, which is kind of sad, because that means he really is that tough cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ragamuffin jojo wrote:
Roger the Alien wrote:

It does clarify a lot. Thanks for this...been wondering and commenting in other threads.

I guess I was playing it correctly, which is kind of sad, because that means he really is that tough cry

Yeah, I saw lately a lot of threads popping up because of this wretch and I was also very interested in an official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudiger Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the hero realms website:
http://herorealms.com/challenge/tibus/

When it comes to Tibus, reveal the top card of the Market Deck and place it face-up in front of Tibus. He gains Combat equal to the cost of the revealed card, then the Guild Lord gains the ability that matches the faction symbol on his card:
Imperial: Tibus gains 5 Health.
Guild: Tibus keeps the revealed card and another is revealed. (If another Guild card is revealed, this ability triggers again.)
Wild: Stun a Champion you control if you have one, otherwise discard two cards.
Necros: Sacrifice every card in the Market Row, and Tibus gains 5 Combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WWG Con 2016!!!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to respond to all this with some positive encouragement: Tibus is MUCH fairer if you play with the Character Packs...I picked those up at WWG Con a month ago, and it makes the games way more even/winnable. Plus they're a lot more fun.

If you don't have these, you really need to pick them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ragamuffin jojo wrote:
Just wanted to respond to all this with some positive encouragement: Tibus is MUCH fairer if you play with the Character Packs...I picked those up at WWG Con a month ago, and it makes the games way more even/winnable. Plus they're a lot more fun.

If you don't have these, you really need to pick them up.

I played with characters AND their corresponding artifacts against Tibus, and haven't lost a game (edit: sample size of once with each character and one more with the ranger). There were some close ones though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This kinda disgusts me a little bit. Maybe that's too strong of a word. Slight bad taste in my mouth?

I don't know that I would ever play Hero Realms solo, but I thought the idea of it would be neat. I might try it when I'm bored some day. I don't think I will, though, as it sounds like it is extremely frustrating. It really sounds like the solo challenge was balanced against the higher power of characters.

I didn't pledge for characters because they didn't particularly appeal to me - a power and a couple new cards? That's fine, though. I understood that I could buy a single character at some point to change it up a bit and make it more thematic. Now I know that I'm going to need at least two. They weren't billed as being required to play the bonus solo challenge (so now, the solo challenge is just a cheap marketing ploy), or requiring a second character pack to play (I sure hope they are marketing character packs in such a way to make it clear that you need two, or it will truly be a marketing ploy).

I was *really* interested in the persistent campaign play, but was going to buy it separately when it hit the shelves. Now I'm wondering if you also need the character packs for that when it comes out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not need a character to face Tibus.
You'll need characters to play the campaign and this fact was always communicated: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/hero-realms-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
You do not need a character to face Tibus.
You'll need characters to play the campaign and this fact was always communicated: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/hero-realms-...

Not so. (see below). I was afraid I missed something, but I checked again and nowhere in there was it communicated that a character deck was required. I'm still not entirely convinced it *is* required... I'm just trying to read the writing on the wall. The campaign certainly does not say that.

This was the closest snippet, but it was describing Character Packs, not campaigns:

"When playing a cooperative campaign, your Character Pack represents the starting point for your character that you will customize over time."

To me, it says that Character Packs are an additional feature that can make it more interesting.

----

After carefully reading three times and following a link to one of the updates, I see now that it is "clear" about four and a half pages into Update #8, step 4, mission setup, which I did not read because I was planning on getting it later.

Whatever. It matters not. I'm enjoying the base game for Hero Realms and would recommend it to anyone. I have decided not to buy into all the rest of it.

I do appreciate that you enlightened me, though. It may have saved me even more frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it should've be written more obvious that characters will be needed for the campaign.

Nevertheless, if I compare star realms and hero realms those characters are the biggest improvement.

Maybe somebody could bestow them as christmas gift to you as those packs make each match very special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.