James Bjork

Virginia
msg tools
I've tried six times, and got crushed each time, even with some good breaks.

I've seen lots of suggested decks for Dol Guldur on these forum boards that rely on powerful cards from expansions, and one or two that use only base set cards mixed up in combination.

Makes me think that just using two of the base set pre-configured monosphere decks is basically impossible. I hope so, or I'm extremely tactically unimaginative (which is certainly possible).

Has anyone ever beaten Dol Guldur from the base set with stock decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think theoretically it can be possible, but perhaps in only 0,001% of the games.

Even Journey along the Anduin is very hard without a little bit of deckbuilding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmb
I've done it with two monosphere decks using only base set cards (but from 3 sets). I'm pretty sure using the suggested decks that come with one box would be an exercise in frustration, and a huge waste of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Porteous
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mono leadership and Spirit with one base set is very doable, providing Eowyn is not the prisioner. mixed sphere decks easier still, again all with one base set.

Check out my guide on my blog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I beat it with Leadership + Spirit. We house ruled that Eowyn and Aragorn could not be the ones captured. It took us a few times and we certainly needed some luck in the draw. But yeah, it is doable.

I would actually like to try again just to see how it goes. It has been a while. She and I are going to get back into playing again after some time off. Trying this scenario again would be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
Try this:

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/2623/escape-from-dol-guldur....0

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/2624/escape-from-dol-guldur....0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6eM2DnPtHo

We use 3 core sets, but the basics could be altered to fit 2 core sets.

happy questing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how lucky we got, but I played the Spirit and (IIRC) Tactics starters with a friend against this quest and we got out without too much trouble (I do not recall who the prisoner was, although I'm pretty sure it was not Eowyn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you won't let that discourage you from continuing to play and experience other adventure packs. The game is excellent even if that single scenario is frustrating.

And yes it's possible. I did it along time ago with leadership and spirit. * I am placing an asterisk because the captured hero may not have been random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.