The Great War» Forums » General

Subject: Just a note on the miniatures (positive) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
peter cooman
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy of the great war yesterday, and after having read a lot about the dreaded 'bayonets', i sat down and removed them from the sprue.

Not a singe piece broke, and everything cleaned up great, ready for painting them.

Don't know what the problem is, but the miniatures are fine! I just wanted to say this, because i don't like the negativety around it. No offense to anyone though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very fortunate for you Peter, but a lot of people didn't have as much luck and were extremely careful when clipping the soldiers from the sprues. I lost a few despite being extremely careful.

I think the point that most people have when complaining about it, is that this shouldn't be an issue people should have to deal with. Either the plastic should be more forgiving, or they shouldn't be attached to the sprue by the bayonet. Perhaps a lesson that PSC can learn from for the next time.

Regardless of that, the game is fun and I don't personally pay attention to which soldiers on the board have bayonets or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter cooman
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one thing that boggles me, is how every tutorial on here shows the wrong way to clip the parts from the sprue.

Like this:

Maybe it works for some that way, but by clipping sideways you have to clip and compress more plastic.

The way to do it is to clip from the back, where the join is thinnest. Had no problems at all!

like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
the game is fun and I don't personally pay attention to which soldiers on the board have bayonets or not.

This. Some people made such a big deal out of the bayonet thing, but you don't even notice it while you're playing. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petercooman123 wrote:
Well, one thing that boggles me, is how every tutorial on here shows the wrong way to clip the parts from the sprue.

Like this:

Maybe it works for some that way, but by clipping sideways you have to clip and compress more plastic.

The way to do it is to clip from the back, where the join is thinnest. Had no problems at all!

like this:

I guess I am unclear on the difference. Is it just that the sprues should be laying the other way, so the soldier is face down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter cooman
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you look at the sprues head)on, you will see a v-shape where the mini is attached. IF you look from the side you see a long line where the mini is attached.

The logical thing is to clip head on on the v shape, less plastic to cut through and compress, and so less pressure on the piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice tip...thanks...I lost about 4-5 bayonets after being very careful...but don't really notice the missing ones when playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, in my 54mm toy soldier collection of over 30,000 figures, I used to clip bayonets off of some of the figures just to make them look different from each other!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter cooman
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i convert a lot of my wargame models too, just tolook different. i think it's just a matter of how much time you want to spend on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.