Subject: Some first thoughts & question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So played two games with kickstarter edition, and some first thoughts.
First enjoyable game, rules flow well. Won with Negan first game, though Abraham did finish off Negan! Second won by Molotov - beware and spread out.
Figures are nice, but all darkish grey. The list on the back of the map was essential to identify who's who, at least for me. Equally take a pic of how they are in tray - then post it so I can get mine back in right again.
Short of painting I've now edged the bases on the walkers black and survivors light grey with names written on.
Looked at first scenario in Days gone by, and its needs Rick police officer, Morgan & Duane, none of which I have - what am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Morgan & Duane are in the Morgan Booster which is a retail exclusive box which will be out shortly.

I am not certain on Rick: Police Office. Perhaps his card will be in the retail exclusive Rick on Horse Booster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, after searching a bit that would appear to be the case. Supplying a game with scenarios that cannot be played with the included components and needs another £50 expansion just seems wrong, especially in a kickstarter edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my copy yet but someone mentioned in the Kickstarter comments that there is also an alternate setup (point cost with special rules) so that you can still play the scenarios if you do not have all the characters that should be there during that part of the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, but its not the Walking Dead exactly when Abraham wakes to the new world, finds Carol and Carl and has to recover the guns from the police station where he didn't work! Especially as an introduction for non gamer WD fans.
If we're paying a premium for the IP, it would be nice to stick with the IP. I'd expect the alternate scenarios for replay, not the main event!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
wavretzio wrote:
Thanks, after searching a bit that would appear to be the case. Supplying a game with scenarios that cannot be played with the included components and needs another £50 expansion just seems wrong, especially in a kickstarter edition.

Ya this is so poor by Mantic. Immediately having to invest more money just to play what comes in your Kickstarter exclusive box! This is the biggest low blow cash grab I have come across in a long long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
wavretzio wrote:

Ya this is so poor by Mantic. Immediately having to invest more money just to play what comes in your Kickstarter exclusive box! This is the biggest low blow cash grab I have come across in a long long time.

Especially when the included rulebook for the 'Days Gone Bye' expansion states on the cover:
Quote:
To use the contents of this expansion you will need a copy of Th Walking Dead: All Out War core set.

That pretty damned strongly implies that with the expansion and the core set you have what you need. Us KS backers that got that level have both. And yet... We're screwed from the get go if we want to play the scenarios with the listed characters. Pretty shitty move on Mantic's part.

In fairness, on page 5 it says you may also need some boosters, but that is still pretty shitty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
It is really low. Everything that came in the box should be playable out of the box. Everyone knows that what is needed for days gone by should of been included in the something to fear pledge. They could of easily shifted some of the components from wave 2 into wave 1. There is plenty of content that they could of released at retail that people are going to buy. Forcing your hand to have to drop another 50 pounds on boosters to play the content you pledged for is really the lowest of the low. It leaves the kind of sour taste that makes you not want to support the company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst I still think the KS should have included the correct characters for the scenarios, I would add that having played the first scenario with an alternate setup, it was still a good game, so don't let it put you off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavretzio wrote:
Whilst I still think the KS should have included the correct characters for the scenarios, I would add that having played the first scenario with an alternate setup, it was still a good game, so don't let it put you off.

Unfortunately it does put me off. Story driven scenarios, such as these, ought to have the correct character figures included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.