Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four easy steps to make the game a tad more interesting:

1. Remove the Hypnosis and Evasion cards from the Event deck.

2. Shuffle the deck and divide it roughly in half (or exactly if you prefer). Let's call each half A and B.

3. Shuffle the cards from step 1 into B.

4. Reconstitute the Event Deck by placing A down first and then B.

Voila! Hypnosis and Evasion are now relegated to the late-mid-game or end-game, where they (arguably) belong.

Edit: Fixed logical inconsistency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a fine idea, though not really necessary. Hypnosis at the beginning can be a bit of a hassle, but not much more than a newspaper report on the second turn.
And an evasion at the beginning would be wonderful for the hunters. They wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. So I guess putting it in the middle would make things more interesting and easy for the DRACULA player. If that's what you're going for, then great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
I think this is a fine idea, though not really necessary. Hypnosis at the beginning can be a bit of a hassle, but not much more than a newspaper report on the second turn.

The "Dracula must declare his next move" kicker, to me, makes it immeasurably more powerful than an early Newspaper Report. It's two full turns better. Newspaper Reports on turn 2 lets the hunters know where he was a turn ago. Hypnosis at the same time (or any time) lets them know where he was a turn ago, where he is now, and where he will be a turn from now.

More importantly, an early-deck Hypnosis gives the Hunter side four chances to use that power at any time in the game after the first one is drawn (2x Hypnosis, 2x Surprising Return). By burying the Hypnosisses deeper in the deck, the ability can't be used at all until at least mid-game.

I think it's a fine idea, too, and I agree with you that it seems to favour the Dracula side (delaying Evasion theoretically helps Dracula - though it also gives the hunters a chance to save a Good Luck for its eventuality). It seems like an interesting help-the-Dracula-side handicap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camustafa wrote:

2. Shuffle the deck and divide it roughly in half (or exactly if you prefer). Let's call each half A and B.

4. Reconstitute the Event Deck by placing B down first and then A.

Voila! Hypnosis and Evasion are now relegated to the late-mid-game or end-game, where they (arguably) belong.

If I'm reading this right doesn't this actually put those cards into the FIRST half of the game since you draw from the bottom of the event deck?

Great idea though regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
camustafa wrote:

4. Reconstitute the Event Deck by placing B down first and then A.

If I'm reading this right doesn't this actually put those cards into the FIRST half of the game since you draw from the bottom of the event deck?

Oops. You are right. I forgot that we draw from the bottom.

Quote:
Great idea though regardless.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To address comments so far: So yes, delaying Evasion does have a pro-Drac flavor, but at least the hunters know that it can not come out until mid-game. And given that Hunters have potentially four chances at Hypnosis, it seems only fair that Evasion be given a chance to do its work - believe me there is nothing more wasted than an early Evasion draw for Drac.

This variant does indeed help Drac, but I believe that with experienced and competent hunter play, Drac needs some help.

Also, if Newspaper Reports are a concern, then one could take out a number of them and also shuffle them into the *top* deck as well. I would not advise doing this for all Newspaper Reports though, since it probably would remove too many early-game options from the Hunters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls