Hide
6 Posts

Hands in the Sea» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Aggressive Carthaginian Thinning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Goirish 374
msg tools
just finished a wildly fun game against a carthaginian opponent who employed a number of unorthodox strategies (i mean, maybe. i'm too new to really tell.).

-he took a strategy card with this first action. it was greek allies. he kept it the entire game. prompted by judd's posts here, i focused early on building a comparable naval force and confronting him in the sicily and C/S sea zones. we had some epic naval battles but he alwasy managed to keep the upper hand.

-from the second turn on, he spent one of each of his two actions thinning his deck. he kept: ship icons, locations that could later be upgraded, and colonists while pitching inland location cards and others.

-this made for a wildly thin carthaginian deck that was popping the campaign card with absurd frequency. he was ahead on developed locations and expansion, so he was able to generate a sizeable financial and VP lead, early.

-again, prompted by judd's posts, i knew to grab Aleria or he could have ended the game quickly via colonization. We eventually traded Aleria for Agrimentum, mostly because we misplayed the rule were he could use an action to recover an owned location card. we thought he had to formally resettle it, which slowed him down enough for me to take Agrimentum. at this point i was generating more VPs than he was, so the quick campaign card appearance actually began to close the gap for Rome, racing against the turn marker.

-another thing that helped him was, enjoying a massive gold advantage, he bought big military units and made sure to always be in a battle (we misplayed this rule, too, thinking a siege was defined by the presence of a developed location, not fortifications). this meant he always had cards "in the deck" that were not in the discard, keeping the campaign card firing off quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's definitely a new one for me (not that my experience runs very deep, either, yet). As far as I can see, Carthage has a hard row to hoe for earning VPs in the early game - Syracuse is worth 3 per turn to Rome and Agrimentum is worth 2 to Carthage. If Rome takes and holds Aleria, then Rome can be racking up 5 per turn to Carthage's 2. I don't really see where Carthage can close this gap. I assumed that Carthage really needs to make raiding and pillaging work to close the gap with end of game VPs and to try to break Roman supply lines or reduce their cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek Long wrote:
Wow, that's definitely a new one for me (not that my experience runs very deep, either, yet). As far as I can see, Carthage has a hard row to hoe for earning VPs in the early game - Syracuse is worth 3 per turn to Rome and Agrimentum is worth 2 to Carthage. If Rome takes and holds Aleria, then Rome can be racking up 5 per turn to Carthage's 2. I don't really see where Carthage can close this gap. I assumed that Carthage really needs to make raiding and pillaging work to close the gap with end of game VPs and to try to break Roman supply lines or reduce their cities.

Most of the neutral area are worth 1VP per turn, so that's how Carthage makes up the difference - by expanding more quickly into Sicily and Corsica-Sardinia than Rome.

Of course, that thickens your deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goirish 374
msg tools
yeah, it was the 1 pointers. he was well ahead by the time i took syracuse and had all the C/S points before i moved into Aleria. it probably took me too long to actually take syracuse.

the most likely thing is that i'm just not a very good player (yet?).

but, man. that campaign card just kept popping off so often for the first 2/3 of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Goirish374 wrote:
yeah, it was the 1 pointers. he was well ahead by the time i took syracuse and had all the C/S points before i moved into Aleria. it probably took me too long to actually take syracuse.

the most likely thing is that i'm just not a very good player (yet?).

but, man. that campaign card just kept popping off so often for the first 2/3 of the game.

The turns will be short in the early part of the game, but will lengthen as the game progresses. The mistake of treating battles in developed locations as sieges would have seriously skewed your game since, as you mentioned, your opponent could use the siege itself as a way to thin his deck.

Also, if you see Carthage buying lots of mercs, draft lots of admin type card (e.g. Senatorial Support) that let you bribe and use the Bribe action. The Spying strategy card works well in conjunction with this approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. What I experienced was aggressive Carthaginian pillage actions on Corsica...once he grabbed the sea choke pint off the island. The Roman navy was not able to relieve the pillaged cities. And the God (Storm in the Sea) favoured the Carthage as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.