Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Lisboa» Forums » General

Subject: Is this Vital's Fields of Arle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe Rosenberg has said that Fields of Arle was his most personal game. It takes place in the small farming village in which he was raised and is as close to a biography that a game designer can get.

Is Lisboa that game for Vital Lacerda? Having spent a few days in Lisbon, I can attest that it's a truly magnificent city and understand how it inspires books, paintings, sculptures, plays and even a board game. Is this game Vital's ode to his home? Are there any personal touches drawn from first-hand experiences?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Zayas
United States
EGLIN AFB
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't claim to know all of the motivations to Lisboa as Vital can certainly speak to those for himself. Vital is Portuguese, so it is easy to imagine this historical story being commonplace knowledge there.

I do know that Lisboa (modern day Lisbon) did, in fact, experience a simultaneous tsunami, fire, and earthquake back in the 1800s, which essentially leveled the city. That is the historical basis for Lisboa. There were also a number of influential people who took the reins in rebuilding the city, three of whom make up the characters in the game who you are charged with influencing to rebuild the city as you would have it.

There are too many historical references in the game to succinctly annotate here, but the rulebook was built with pages and pages of this supplemental content, which I believe has been uploaded to BGG on this game's listing. I encourage you to look through it.

- Daniel Zayas
Marketing Director
Eagle-Gryphon Games
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself and Vital have exchanged hundreds of messages about the historical details that have been inserted into Lisboa, and, in some cases, form the foundations of the game design itself.

I have been consistently inspired by Vital's commitment to detail in this regard and have tried to reflect that throughout the application of the game's graphic design and illustration.
28 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dmzayas wrote:

I do know that Lisboa (modern day Lisbon) did, in fact, experience a simultaneous tsunami, fire, and earthquake back in the 1800s, which essentially leveled the city.


As a young lad I believe that Vital may have lived through tsunami/fire/earthquake. Apparently it had a profound effect on his psyche, leaving him emotionally scarred for many years. Luckily it didn't have any impact on his vital signs.

Apparently designing games, recommended by his medical team, has had a miraculous, profound and positive impact upon him.

13 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
dmzayas wrote:

I do know that Lisboa (modern day Lisbon) did, in fact, experience a simultaneous tsunami, fire, and earthquake back in the 1800s, which essentially leveled the city.


As a young lad I believe that Vital may have lived through tsunami/fire/earthquake. Apparently it had a profound effect on his psyche, leaving him emotionally scarred for many years. Luckily it didn't have any impact on his vital signs.

Apparently designing games, recommended by his medical team, has had a miraculous, profound and positive impact upon him.


This is nonsense. The great earthquake that hit Lisbon was in 1755, not the 1800s. Moreover, for that entire year Vital was working as an agent for the British army in India, laying the groundwork for Britain's conquest of the subcontinent, so he couldn't have been in Lisbon during the earthquake. Of course, I'm sure he heard about it and was deeply affected by the tragedy.
21 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Im already on board for the Tram expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did trams existed in the XVIII century? whistlelaugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GusG4Real wrote:
Did trams existed in the XVIII century? whistlelaugh

That's why it's an expansion
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dmzayas wrote:
I won't claim to know all of the motivations to Lisboa as Vital can certainly speak to those for himself. Vital is Portuguese, so it is easy to imagine this historical story being commonplace knowledge there.

I do know that Lisboa (modern day Lisbon) did, in fact, experience a simultaneous tsunami, fire, and earthquake back in the 1800s, which essentially leveled the city. That is the historical basis for Lisboa. There were also a number of influential people who took the reins in rebuilding the city, three of whom make up the characters in the game who you are charged with influencing to rebuild the city as you would have it.

There are too many historical references in the game to succinctly annotate here, but the rulebook was built with pages and pages of this supplemental content, which I believe has been uploaded to BGG on this game's listing. I encourage you to look through it.

- Daniel Zayas
Marketing Director
Eagle-Gryphon Games


Maybe I am wrong but isn't Lisboa the Portuguese for Lisbon?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
Maybe I am wrong but isn't Lisboa the Portuguese for Lisbon?


You're correct. It had a couple of names before it became Lisboa... Olissipo (Roman times) and Al-Ushbuna (Muslim times) and maybe others
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
dmzayas wrote:
I won't claim to know all of the motivations to Lisboa as Vital can certainly speak to those for himself. Vital is Portuguese, so it is easy to imagine this historical story being commonplace knowledge there.

I do know that Lisboa (modern day Lisbon) did, in fact, experience a simultaneous tsunami, fire, and earthquake back in the 1800s, which essentially leveled the city. That is the historical basis for Lisboa. There were also a number of influential people who took the reins in rebuilding the city, three of whom make up the characters in the game who you are charged with influencing to rebuild the city as you would have it.

There are too many historical references in the game to succinctly annotate here, but the rulebook was built with pages and pages of this supplemental content, which I believe has been uploaded to BGG on this game's listing. I encourage you to look through it.

- Daniel Zayas
Marketing Director
Eagle-Gryphon Games


Maybe I am wrong but isn't Lisboa the Portuguese for Lisbon?


Actually, I think Lisbon is the English for Lisboa like Germany is the English for Deutschland.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnpusher wrote:
Actually, I think Lisbon is the English for Lisboa.


lol yes, that would be more accurate!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.