Subject: Hook 'em Young rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bronson Barnhart
United States
South Haven
Michigan
flag msg tools
I had my 7 year old grandson for the weekend. I thought why not try Memoir 44 with him. I used the Young General rules, where you take out the TACTIC cards. Just using the basic set he did an awesome job. We played the first 4 missions.

On the mission 4 he started to get confused. He kept wanting to move his units out of the bunker for fear of the -1 penalty. So I corrected him and let him take the move back. That's when I decided we should be done for the time.

It was awesome! We played the first game and after I thought he might want to play the next time he visits. To my surprise he wanted to play more. After the third game he wanted to play another, but it was dinner time.

While playing, when he counted for how many dice to roll and tell me. Sometimes I quizzed him why it was that much. Every time he got it right because of the penalty.

It was neat! The first night he was with me, I showed him one of the tanks. His little eyes just lit up and he was instantly curious!

Guess it's time to start buying more expansions!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, let's admit it NOW, your grandson is just to smokescreen for your own general's ambition whistle

The title should read: Buy'em now! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My son is 6.5, we have started with Battle Cry and played through that, and just moved to Memoir 44. Its scary, he is better with the rules than I am - ill grab 3 dice and he'll say "no, remember, barbed wire subtracts one" or whatever. And i will realize, crap, hes right lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luuk Van Aken
Canada
Lacombe
Alberta
flag msg tools
So I have to wait about 5 more years till I can play this game with my son (he's 2 now). I like this game but doesn't get played much cause the group I play with don't like 2 player games, usually we play with 4 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Sasinski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
battler44 wrote:
he'll say "no, remember, barbed wire subtracts one"

No cheating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.