Popular Tags: [View All]
NICK WATKINS
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oars text -
I demand you transfer acard with a crown from your hand to my score pile! If you do, draw a 1, and repeat this dogma effect.
If no cards were transferred due to this demand, draw a 1.
My question is - who- draws the card?
Me, the person demanding the dogma effect or my opponent who has , if successful, has given me acard with a crown now into my scorepile.

Is there an errata file that has clarifications on the cards?
I'm using the new reprint 2016 version.

There are many cards like this that can be taken different ways and not sure who is the one that can draw the cards.

I used this effect yesterday on my opponent and he was drawing the cards.

It was the third era and with oars he wound up picking at least 4 cards in a row plusones in his hand that gave me 24 points or more . I wound up winning by claiming 2 awards over the next two turns for 6 to win
Does this sound correct?
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the demand dogma aloud to the player who that affects and it should become clear.

I.e. the player who gave you the score card draws a 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hanf
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Draw" appears twice on the card, so your question could be ambiguous. I think you're asking about the "draw" in the first bullet point on the card.

For the first bullet, "I demand you transfer a card with a crown from your hand to my score pile! If you do, draw a 1, and repeat this dogma effect.", you read the whole demand to him (well, to each player with fewer of this card's icon than you), then he decides how to fulfill the request as far as possible. So if he transfers a card, he draws a 1 and repeats.

The second bullet, "If no cards were transferred due to this demand, draw a 1.", is talking to you (well, to you and each player who is sharing this dogma action with you because they have at least as many of this card's icon than you). So you might get to draw a 1 there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karlhanf wrote:
The second bullet, "If no cards were transferred due to this demand, draw a 1.", is talking to you (well, to you and each player who is sharing this dogma action with you because they have at least as many of this card's icon than you). So you might get to draw a 1 there.
And in the case it is shared, you would also get to draw another card as a "reward" for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following file is an excellent resource: Innovation: Official FAQ and cards list

Bear in mind that, while its contents were approved by the publisher, it applies to the original version of the game. The most recent version subsequently modified the functionality of a small number of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ESPNY wrote:
There are many cards like this that can be taken different ways and not sure who is the one that can draw the cards.

As was said before, in general, if the Dogma begins with "I Demand" then you read that Dogma to your opponent(s), and it should be very clear who does what. You are demanding them to do what is written in that Dogma effect.

If the Dogma does not start with "I Demand" then you read the Dogma effect to yourself. Also if anyone gets to share in the Dogma, they read the Dogma effect to themselves.

On cards with multiple Dogma effects, read and resolve each Dogma effect separately. In a multiplayer game, it is very possible in the case of "Oars" for example, that one or more people are subject to the "I Demand" Dogma, and other opponents would get to share the second Dogma. Handle the two Dogma effects each as their own entity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
When it is a demand Dogma, it is highly recommend to point an accusatory finger at your victim, and then read the demand in a hostile and shouty voice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, "dogmaing" is a perfectly cromulent word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian X
msg tools
I'm sorry but this still does not answer the question that I have about this card. I need to clearly understand the meaning of the words, "and repeat this dogma effect."

Let's call the person who invokes the Dogma player A and the other person player B. Player B hands over a card with a crown on it and then picks a one. Now who does what? Does player B invoke the dogma, such that player A has to hand over a crown card and pick a one and then in turn repeat the dogma effect, forcing B to hand over a crown card?

Or does player A endlessly repeat the Dogma , piling up a lot of crown cards and then winning the game two turns later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player A continues to read the card and Player B does everything.

It's not an auto-win, as Player A still needs to get a top card of the appropriate value to achieve. Player B's cards will soon run out of Crowns too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hanf
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Repeat this dogma effect' means that player A again demands it of player B.

I've only played the older version without this "repeat", in which Oars doesn't get played much; but I'm not really worried about the card being overpowered.

It won't be endless; soon B will have only crownless cards in hand. If A got a lot of points, yippee. That does not simply let A win the game.

So what 6 achievements did A win with in your game? Since you said "it was age 3", I worry a little: You didn't incorrectly claim the level 4 achievement without having a top card of at least level 4 on your board, did you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like the text has been changed?

Why doesn't it now say "transfer all cards with crowns from your hand to my score pile! If you do draw a 1, and repeat this dogma effect." Essentially that is what will happen (They will keep transferring cards until they have no crowns).

Or has the OP misquoted the card text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:
Why doesn't it now say

Because that would be a different effect. 1 is drawn for each card transferred, and the 1's may have crowns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I get it.

Seems ridiculously powerful now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.