Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They remain in your playing area, having been turned 90 degrees so that you can distinguish them from other (later) cards not protected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
face up or face down? you mean they are played onto the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards which you purchase from the Market are called Merchandise. Merchandise is placed face-up in front of you.

During a Payday unprotected Merchandise must be discarded unless you play insurance cards to protect it. Upon paying the insurance cost (the payment is discarded) the Merchandise cards which you have now protected are simply turned 90 degrees to record that protection.

and remain available for a later Payday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Cards which you purchase from the Market are called Merchandise. Merchandise is placed face-up in front of you.

During a Payday unprotected Merchandise must be discarded unless you play insurance cards to protect it. Upon paying the insurance cost (the payment is discarded) the cards which you have now protected are simply turned 90 degrees to record that protection.

and remain available for a later Payday.

aren't the cards safe during a payday? I thought the only cards in danger were when you are raided by pirates?

and I should have specified I am asking about Traders Of Carthage. Does it play differently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
and I should have specified I am asking about Traders Of Carthage. Does it play differently?

The play is unchanged. I would need to pull out both rule sets to see if some terminology changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
During a Payday unprotected Merchandise must be discarded unless you play insurance cards to protect it.

That doesn't square up with my rules (ZMan copyright 2008, 20015), where the concluding sentence under Payday on page 7 reads as follows:

rules wrote:
AT PAYDAY, ALL CORRESPONDING MERCHANDISE (INSURED OR NOT) OF ALL PLAYERS IS SOLD.

(The all-caps bold text is how it appears in the rules.)

I won't type out the whole thing, but basically if more than one player arrives at Edo simultaneously, they'll each have their own payday and must sell all merchandise of the corresponding color. Insurance doesn't change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
aren't the cards safe during a payday? I thought the only cards in danger were when you are raided by pirates?

A Payday process includes both paying a reward to ships that have reached the end of the journey (sending cards to your reward pile) plus checking losses for ships sitting on the danger spaces of the journey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I won't type out the whole thing, but basically if more than one player arrives at Edo simultaneously, they'll each have their own payday and must sell all merchandise of the corresponding color. Insurance doesn't change that.

I interpreted the original question as something regarding the simple act of protecting Merchandise for ships undergoing loss,
Quote:

Subject: Where do you place the stored cards turned 90 degrees after discarding cards with storage icons?

and now find it comingled with payout concepts for ships at the end which then muddles the discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:

A Payday process includes both paying a reward to ships that have reached the end of the journey (sending cards to your reward pile) plus checking losses for ships sitting on the danger spaces of the journey.

In my version of the rules, that is covered under heading SUNK BY THE BLACK TIDE on page 8. Ships on an Enshunada space (waves) are sunk and the owners must discard all uninsured merchandise of the same color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
TVis wrote:
During a Payday unprotected Merchandise must be discarded unless you play insurance cards to protect it.

That doesn't square up with my rules (ZMan copyright 2008, 20015), where the concluding sentence under Payday on page 7 reads as follows:

rules wrote:
AT PAYDAY, ALL CORRESPONDING MERCHANDISE (INSURED OR NOT) OF ALL PLAYERS IS SOLD.

I can now follow how my imprecise wording (highlighted above) helped create confusion. I was caught off guard when the question took an unexpected turn and I typed in an abbreviated manner.

In my own mind I loosely hold the "Payday" concept to include both: a) turning in cards for scoring for some colors; and b) removing cards as a penalty for other colors. In the highlight wording "unprotected Merchandise" was intended for category b).

and yes, all goods of category a) get applied to scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
TVis wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:

In my version of the rules, that is covered under heading SUNK BY THE BLACK TIDE on page 8. Ships on an Enshunada space (waves) are sunk and the owners must discard all uninsured merchandise of the same color.

I feel uncertain that you might be trying to suggest that losses are covered by "SUNK BY THE BLACK TIDE" instead of "Payday" ?

In a broader look there is an outline that extends from the top of page 7 and through to the bottom of page 8, and even page 9.

PAYDAY
1. Scoring
2. Acquire Achievement tokens
3. Sunk by the Black Tide
4. Return the Ships

(to quote only headers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Sphere wrote:
TVis wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:

I feel uncertain that you might be trying to suggest that losses are covered by "SUNK BY THE BLACK TIDE" instead of "Payday" ?

That wasn't my intent; I simply wanted to provide a reference to the more recent rule set for anyone following the discussion. My understanding is that ships arriving at Edo trigger an event, with all ships at Edo selling their merchandise and all ships on Eshunada spaces at risk for the Black Tide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.