Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Wings of War, and I was wondering how much more complex Dawn Patrol is, and if its worth getting or trading for if I have WoW already.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Dawn Patrol on eBay, and I've only read the basic rules. I also own Wings of War. Someone else could give you a better perspective than I can, probably, but I'll give my impressions.

Dawn Patrol is square-grid-based, which means you're going to have to plot out moves, using the maneuver rules in DP, as a matter of squares. In WoW, of course, you don't need to do that; WoW is also, in some ways, less precise because of its "analog" nature.

DP is, I'd say, aimed more at trying to be a simulation than WoW. For one thing, altitude is a critical component of DP, whereas it's optional in WoW. There are just more rules with DP overall. Does that make it a richer game? I'm not sure, having not played it, but it's definitely heavier. One nice thing about DP is the community. WoW has a nice community, too, but you can play DP online via VASSAL, and there are various groups who've kept DP alive over a quarter-century. (Of course, we're also trying to get a WoW PBeM started at the Yahoo! group for WoW (although I think the registration's closed for the first game), so maybe we'll build up a bit more of a community for WoW, too.

all that said, copies of DP are surprisingly inexpensive still. Mine was $12, and while it was missing a couple of counters, which can be replaced pretty easily, everything else was in real good shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, hopefully, someone who's played both will chime in. I'd like to know that perspective, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well i definitely want a copy, especially if it can be found for under 20!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls