19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Gaming Cafe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martyna Trela
Poland
flag msg tools
I am an interior design student, and since I am keen on playing board games, I decided to design a place that is dedicated to board games players. There comes my question to you: what are the major needs that such a place should fulfil? Is it big tables, more seats or a spot for eating and drinking coffee or beer?
Maybe you have already been in a board game cafe - what were the features that you liked or disliked?

Thank you in advance for your replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there are a lot of special needs for boardgame café:
- rectangular tables with no features on the top,
- chairs (not stools) that can be approached to the table,
- white, bright light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Often overlooked but quite important is soud deadenning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hound of Vindaloos
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cup holders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a person from my gaming circle introduced me to using a felt table cover when playing games. Now I never game without one.

A cafe would want hard table surfaces for durability and to make cleaning easy, but having some felt table cloths available would be a nice touch. They don't have to be fixed to the tables, just available in the cafe if a group wants to use one.

Felt is quite durable and cheap so even if it gets dirty/damage it is easy to clean/replace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you mean for an assignment for your class?

Plenty of table for 2-4 player games. A few tables for larger parties. Some kind of counter for food/drinks, with access to the kitchen/food preparation space. Easy customer access to restrooms. Personally, I would not mind a play area with sofas & a coffee table, but I know others would prefer not to game crouched over. Don't forget a place for game storage & display.

Not sure if this would be included in your assignment...Good lighting, perhaps game related décor on the walls. A menu & price list by the counter (or even by the front door) would be nice.

Make sure your design has enough floor space for customers to be able to get around and in between the table & chairs easily.

Good luck with your assignment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the lighting: I often have to crawl around under gaming tables and look for pieces on the floor. It would be nice to have lighting under the tables in a gaming cafe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cardflopper wrote:
a person from my gaming circle introduced me to using a felt table cover when playing games. Now I never game without one.

A cafe would want hard table surfaces for durability and to make cleaning easy, but having some felt table cloths available would be a nice touch. They don't have to be fixed to the tables, just available in the cafe if a group wants to use one.

Felt is quite durable and cheap so even if it gets dirty/damage it is easy to clean/replace.

I'd say the opposite could be true, I was impressed by the table design at a nearby cafe that was a metal grid with (small) holes in it. Big enough that components dont fall through, large enough that liquids drain to the floor and don't ruin the game. Drinks and food are kept on a shelf beneath the playing level of the table. IMO, a good example of functional design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a nice gimmick: a drawer in the table for every person to keep stuff that you may keep secret, like money or cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the sound deadenning.

Cup holders are not a necessity: it would require more specific (and so pricey) tables while the key point seems to be "keep your drinks under the level of the top of the table".
In my flat I used small stools placed between the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Access and traffic flow.
Improvised space for backpacks and game boxes on the floor and on chairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Deal with Death
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
In this order

1) Flat square or rectangle tables (Ideally that can easily be moved together to create the size table necessary for particular size games)

2)Good Acoustics / Sound Buffering

3)A unobstructed central lane leading directly to food/drinks, at least 50% of the game tables, and the game storage where you keep your Café games

4)Cup holders in chairs

5)Easily accessible outlets for phone chargers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amish_rabbi wrote:
Often overlooked but quite important is soud deadenning.

The reason i truly loathe 401 games, very high noise floor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Deal with Death
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wifi Login and Password posted in multiple visible locations around the cafe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tables: A mix of square and rectangular tables in 2 or 3 different sizes. Tables that can easily be pushed together (my gaming cafe has tables with the pedestal bases in a cross shape parallel with table sides -- when you try to push them together, there's a gap because the base is long enough to stick out 1cm. soblue The bases should have been in an X shape relative to the top.)

Handy, nearby surfaces that can be used for game boxes, used plates and glasses (makes it easier and less disruptive for the staff to clear.)

Cup holders! A spilled glass is a nightmare. Glasses sitting on the top of tables next to a game in progress is an inevitable tragedy waiting to happen.

I agree with previous comments that sound dampening is very important. One game of Pit can ruin an entire room!

Besides good lighting, you need good, adjustable shades if there are large windows like in my gaming cafe. Glare is just as annoying as poor lighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moore

Cincinnati
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Lit.

Tables with Cupholders.

...as long as it's not like my local game cafe where the food sucks and you aren't allowed to bring your own games.

Anything has to be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T 7

Michigan
msg tools
Good ventilation systems is a must!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
Regarding the lighting: I often have to crawl around under gaming tables and look for pieces on the floor. It would be nice to have lighting under the tables in a gaming cafe.
Find somebody with a smartphone. They come with flashlights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Design a normal cafe then add a book shelf with games. Done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.