Subject: Games using action figures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Hound of Vindaloos
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy I know has a bunch of action figures. I am wondering if anyone has invented any games that can be played with them. It would be great for (...err) this guy to put them to gaming use somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlesworn would work really well with action figures for sure. Other miniature skirmish games could probably have their scale adapted to work well also. I've wondered about this as well, but I'm not sure how I would want to base my action figures, seems like I'd really need semi-permanent bases to make the figures easier to use, move, and still stand up. Imperial Assault really made me consider this more, I saw/see all these star wars little figures coming out and I started thinking, I have hundreds of star wars figures, if I could use them in a game I wouldn't need any Imperial Assault miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hound of Vindaloos
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I have friends with action figures that would likely never be convinced to begin gaming with me and invest in miniatures, but would bring their star wars figures for a skirmish game.

I have a lot of dr who figures. They are 5 inches big most of them, which makes it slightly more space intensive. I was thinking Doctor Who miniatures game is where I probably should be looking for skirmish rules to adapt, being that it is thematic, but battlesworn looks simple, fun and adaptable. Cheers for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Depending on which action figures, you might be able to use my game Giant Monster Rampage which was designed to be used with action figures.

I am currently working on the 4th edition, the beta rules for which can be found on Wargame Vault under the title "Kaiju Rampage".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hound of Vindaloos
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I will check it out now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was Shadowrun Duels. I've never played the game, but have some of the figures. They came with accessories that added dice to their action pool....

Link: Shadowrun Duels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the genre, Song of Blades and Heroes might have a set of rules that would fit his action figures.

You can blow up any miniatures boardgame board to action figure scale, and play the game. I saw this done with Star Wars Epic Duels.

Also : https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/750773/miniatures-rules-act...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games to look at:

Z-G

A game where the character's location and the armor on the figure are part of gameplay.

Star Wars Escape Death Star Action Figure Game

Action figures are used as pawns.

Star Wars Galactic Battle Game

The figures aren't really used, but game components are included as a die, a card, and a figure base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toy War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant_Monster wrote:
Depending on which action figures, you might be able to use my game Giant Monster Rampage which was designed to be used with action figures.

I am currently working on the 4th edition, the beta rules for which can be found on Wargame Vault under the title "Kaiju Rampage".

came here to post this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If memory serves...

Toying With Destruction

Presents a decent set of rules for playing with all types of toys, so limiting to to action figures would be pretty straightforward. It's hardly an intensive game, but it works.

Similarly, it wouldn't take a great stretch to adapt something like Battle Cattle to less bovine conflicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark w

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
G.I. Joe Commando Attack has stands that allow you to use action figures instead of cutouts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hound of Vindaloos
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, looks like there are lots of options. I am busy read away about all these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably too specific for what you describe, but I'll mention for compeltion's sake.

The Beast Wars Mutating Card Game was (allegedly - if I remember the notes from the game correctly) designed to such a scale that it could be played with the figures themselves in concert with the cards.

It wasn't an amazing game, to be fair, but I thought that for a Transformers collector, this was a nice touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
There was Shadowrun Duels. I've never played the game, but have some of the figures. They came with accessories that added dice to their action pool....

Link: Shadowrun Duels

I've played it. It was great fun, very nice. Especially to see a Wizkids game using dials where every piece wasn't glass jawed. Pity that it died an early death before they could get some real numbers and variety of figures out there before the end. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of people who use LEGO, see Brick Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Elsenheimer
United States
Howard City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't all boardgames be played using action figures whenever possible, anyway? Just sayin' . . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.