Hide
4 Posts

World's Fair 1893» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Clarification, Face up or Face Down? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Petyr Patter
msg tools
So, during a board game Meetup I loaned my copy of World's Fair to some people who had not played it before. When I later walked past, I noticed most cards around the main board were face down. I have always played it every card is played face up to the main board.

One player insisted because the rules said the first card is played face up, every subsequent card needs to be played face down.

I said that would make a relatively simple game with lucky streaks even more random.

So, what's the official rule? I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I've been wrong before so I want confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponsonby Britt, OBE
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Face up.

In both the Setup and Step 4: Add Three New Cards sections of the rulebook, it specifically states cards are placed face up around the playboard. The only time the words "face down" appear is in reference to the draw deck itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alex Kevern
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ponsonbybritt wrote:
Face up.

In both the Setup and Step 4: Add Three New Cards sections of the rulebook, it specifically states cards are placed face up around the playboard. The only time the words "face down" appear is in reference to the draw deck itself.

Yes. Must be another case of the "phantom rule".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petyr Patter
msg tools
mistergnome wrote:
ponsonbybritt wrote:
Face up.

Yes. Must be another case of the "phantom rule".

Thanks for the reply, Mr. Kevern (and Ponsonby). I was pretty sure I got it right, but the rule book left just enough ambiguity that I wanted to respect the other players in my group and try to get an official confirmation.

PS) I do enjoy the game, great work designing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.