Subject: Less kid-ish theme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan C
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, apologies for not searching better for a question I suspect has been answered before... Anyway, I run a ESL group for adult professionals. This game seems like a good way to get some conversation going but the (euro-centric) fairy tale theme probably won't be a good fit. Are there any expansions or similar games with similar play but a different genre?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've never tried the game, I would honestly recommend doing so. The story is as kid-ish or grown-up as the players make it. True, it might be kind of hard to work TPS reports or performance evaluations into a story, but if the X-Files could manage it, maybe your adult professionals could too.

In any case, I would think fairy tales would be perfect for getting people from different cultures talking together (but maybe that's because I find foreign mythologies fascinating). Fairy tales are universal as far as I know. Just pulling four cards out by random, I got "Monster," "Stairs," "Far Away," and "Witch." Those seem pretty universal to me. True, the picture on the Witch card is of a classic European witch (complete with bats and a pumpkin), but afaik practitioners of magic are found in the fairy tales of most (all?) cultures.

Thinking about it, I would really like to try this with people from other cultures; it might result in some truly interesting twists and post-game conversations about where the story ideas came from.

Edit: On second thought, it might be kinda hard for people to translate foreign concepts into English depending on their mastery of the language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace Detective
detective theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a blank card expansion that you could fill in on your own as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Richardson
msg tools
There's a game being released on Kickstarter soon called 'It's Just A Theory'. It's a similar story-telling mechanic but with conspiracy theories. It's very funny to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.