Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Wickersham
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
So in order to kill some time, and fuel some discussion other than ETA's and arguments over legacy issues, I thought I'd ask what everyone thinks they're starting group will be.

Which character do you want to play as? How about in your group? Who do you think will be selected. Anyone you don't want to play as? Does anyone have a clever way to decide how characters are picked other than "I WANT A BRUTE. GIMME THE BRUTE."

Personally I'm torn between the Tinkerer and the Mind Thief. I have a feeling my group will probably pick up the Scoundrel and Cragheart. My fourth spot is open though. Maybe the Weaver?

Anywho. What about you guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably mindthief and scoundrel. I love those classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who want the info on starting characters bundled together, Selecting starting characters

I'm leaning most towards Cragheart atm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Allen
United States
White Settlement
Texas
flag msg tools
www.bobweekend.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffle and blind deal would be a bad idea. I do not enjoy playing melee characters. RPG wise I like characters that stay back and deal powerful fireballs in the enemies face.

Role based assignments so you could get a balanced party. Sort the classes by the following roles and let folks pick from their role stack. There are some hybrid classes so those would have to be argued about.

Healer
Tank
DPS
Ranged DPS

I like ranged DPS, so I would pick from that stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gillam
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably want to ask Paul Grogan. He has the game, started playing a few weeks ago (Essen copy-prototype).
He could give you a few pointers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickersham
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was thinking of house-ruling the ability cards, so that you can't look at your higher level cards until you unlock that level to add to the excitement and mystery of the leveling up process.

Anyone else thinking of adding any other interesting house rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rickenbacker1978
I'm torn between Mindthief and Scoundrel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinkerer has it all, heals, tonnes of CC, dmg. He's my fav by far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pearson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will mostly be playing this two player so I probably won't pick the scoundrel (even though typically my favorite class). Of the starting choices, the crag heart intrigues me the most as it feels like the most unique and I like the idea of manipulating the terrain to my advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this solo, I plan to run with Cragheart and either Spellweaver (likely) or Tinkerer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure we will play a few random dungeons to give us a feel for the mechanics and the characters. Then we can make an informed decision and start the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EventHorizon wrote:
I figure we will play a few random dungeons to give us a feel for the mechanics and the characters. Then we can make an informed decision and start the campaign.

Was thinking something like this aswell. We'll see once the game is here. Think there would be some kind of tutorial/intro maybe we'll do that and extra time or 2 to see if we like our characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
Our group is going to be Spellweaver (me), Brute, Tinkerer, and Mindtheif.

I've seen seen all the ability cards, and provided the other players with basic descriptions of the starting classes. The Spellweaver's abilities and playstyle appealed most to me, and the other players were similar: the Brute player wanted something straightforward, the Mindtheif something complex, and the Tinkerer just thought he sounded fun.

Tinkerer and Mindtheif didn't seem my style, and I didn't want to worry about the Cragheart's ally damage. That said, I do look forward to a completely different second character (if the one I unlock is another caster-type, I'll probably go with Scoundrel).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it will be Mindthief or Spellweaver, Tinkerer, Brute or the Golem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably going to start with in order of availability Tinkerer, Cragheart, or Mindthief. My fiancee will like play Spellweaver since she is a casterholic. I am debating having her 10 year old play with us, if he is interested. He tends to like taking beatings so more of a tank/melee character so thinking he would go with a Brute.

Not sure if we will play with more and it may just be played with my fiancee and myself, which was my initial intention when purchasing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skire Kreshnar
msg tools
I'm torn between Mindthief and Tinkerer. Though I think with the starting deck I do find the Tinkerer more fun. He's got such a wide variety of things he can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
To chime in, I'm thinking Mind Thief or Tinkerer as well. (Seems to be a common choice with game owners.) The other player Might go with any of the other starting characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
I love Mindthief and Thinkerer, and I like a lot that each character has so many characteristic skills that also the brute (I usually dislike the tank) appeals to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
My whole RPG-career (spanning 20 years) have included only tanks: Paladin, Rogue and Warrior and I don't think I have the inner power to change that course just yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will start with playing two player solo. At the moment I think I want to go with the Brute and the Spellweaver.

I am usually not someone who goes for the tanky melee classes, but the Brute has something intriguing about him.

The decision is really hard because all the starting classes seem to be cool and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there somewhere that allows you to see all the starting cards for the starting characters. Somewhere other than a computer simulation site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Meissner
Scotland
Edinburgh
Lothians
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get all the starting class cards as pdf on https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8ppELln5Z0rLXdWYnh3....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a toss up for me between Tinkerer and Scoundrel. I think I'll let my wife pick hers first and then grab whatever makes the most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Is there somewhere that allows you to see all the starting cards for the starting characters. Somewhere other than a computer simulation site?

Spukky wrote:
For those who want the info on starting characters bundled together, Selecting starting characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.