Hide
9 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Less painful competitive conquest using co-op skills? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil K
msg tools
Note: also in general forum - didn't know where it would be better posted. Skip the first two paragraphs if you want to see my variant proposal (see bold)

I just played my first full conquest of mage knight with my gf last night and it took literally 9 hours. I loved the game and it was fun.. for me at least (although I do admit it is too long for regular play.)This is the longest I ever played a board game.... longer than twilight imperium... pretty worn out... does full conquest normally take this long?

Anyways one problem was that I attacked my gf immediately as we left the beginning portal to get to the mage tower nearby and that completely disabled her for the whole game (which took too long too) and she had less fun because of it. Also my competitive skill (blood ritual) kept giving her wound cards which I got the first round that gave her 5 or 6 wound cards throughout the whole game. I was winning but she was just struggling to get anywhere.

I was just wondering, is it better to just not do pvp while playing competitive? maybe it would be better to also just use the co-op skills (from Lost legion) and apply the solo rules for those skills during competitive play so that I can still use those really helpful skills, but I just won't hurt the other player as much? Would this hurt the game's balance at all? Any input on how to make the game experience better for all players? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9 hours game -> attacking girlfriend in the first turn -> bad decision devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
haha ya in retrospect - probably won't do that again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowhawk720 wrote:
Any input on how to make the game experience better for all players? Thanks

Really, everything will work better for you if you play a few more games. An early PvP attack is NOT likely to decide the game once you know how to deal with it. Your issues are mostly from inexperience. As I wrote in the other thread, I suggest you play a few games without PvP first to learn the core mechanisms better, then introduce PvP if you want. But if you (or she) don't like highly competitive games then you can also simply leave PvP out.

Healing Ritual is a good skill in the 2-player game, but not overpowered. There are lots of other good skills. I wouldn't rank any of the competitive skills among the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
Yes I just looked at your post from the other thread as well. In that case I will give PvP a shot then and keep the competitive skills but won't have PvP at least for several more games. We both really enjoy competitive games, provided we each have a good shot at winning. I felt like I could potentially add it as I have played "first recon." twice but I probably should do regular (or probably blitz considering how long regular took) conquest until I really feel comfortable with all the aspects of the game. I have to admit, this is the most rule heavy game I have ever played but it is a lot of fun if I can get through it eventually haha.

I am wondering if I should further complicate things and add the re-balanced cards from Lost Legion right away or just wait until I play the base game several more times before I do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest you play with all of the cards from Lost Legion, if you have them. They don't make the game any more complicated. Also, play with the rules from Lost Legion, which contain some subtle timing differences and nuances that make the game more consistent and uniform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9 hours, I feel ya.

As you become more familiar with the game and its rules, the time amount will drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
OK gotcha I will add the cards the next time I get the chance. Thanks! And Haha ya I really hope the time drops. To be honest my first 2 games were like 2 hours (first recon.) which is more reasonable but idk how this one took so long. Really liking the game but it is pretty taxing haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw somewhere, I think either here or on /r/boardgames, someone called Mage Knight a "brain burner"

So true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.