Subject: How to beat tanks? Avoid them. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a Tank scenario where the British won 8:0 by just wandering around with their tanks.

I decided to adopt the German tactic of falling back from the first trench line rather then holding them. In the second game this seemed to work as the tanks moved forward and became unsupported by the Infantry. More importantly as tanks must always take ground this triggers an extra Bogged Down die with the tanks regularly rolling 3 Bogged Down die:

1 for the 2nd and 3rd hexes
1 for the Trench terrain
1 for Taking ground

This greatly increased the instances of Bogged down, thus making them vulnerable to a German counter-attack from their second line of trenches.

The Germans won the second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The tank scenarios are fun, but they all seem to require similar tactics from the defenders... fall back, then desperately swarm the bogged-down tanks. The extra VP for destroying them -- and the tanker's option to bug out of a bogged-down vehicle -- add a nice tension to the struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:
The tank scenarios are fun, but they all seem to require similar tactics from the defenders... fall back, then desperately swarm the bogged-down tanks. The extra VP for destroying them -- and the tanker's option to bug out of a bogged-down vehicle -- add a nice tension to the struggle.

This seems historically accurate and actually supported by the Panzerschrek rule. And you get an additional re-roll to hit die with artillery on a bogged-down tank too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly right, fellas. You can see my comments in my threads "Hans und Franz vs Tank Panic." The Borg tank stuff in WWI is so different from what you see in WWII games that it caused much disgust and confusion at the beginning, and I wrote these threads to encourage the German defenders! I call retreating before tanks "The Matador Approach."

Besides using Field Artillery, Bombers get the best head to head attack against them, and are often a creditable threat against tanks.

Of course, the best defense against tanks, besides Strong Points is...other tanks. But these generally slow the action down, which is nice for the defenders if they are running out the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.