Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Early on in the campaign, some entry gave the choice between a reputation upgrade and a Tax (4) sticker. Am I missing something or does the reputation seem strictly better? Most of the time, you are using a reputation for advisers that cost 3-5 gold. You'd have to take a lot of tax actions to equal the gold value of that reputation. Plus, reputation is more flexible than gold spread out throughout a given game, since you'll get it up front at the start, rather than doled out in actions. It seems like it should have been Tax (5) to make up for the fact that it takes actions to gain its benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Albert
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our game, the person who was rewarded this upgrade was also the person who started with the appellation that can do all the soldiers guild actions for 2 gold. Because of the synergy between the 2 upgrades it seems like it has been a good choice so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Bookler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spriggster wrote:
In our game, the person who was rewarded this upgrade was also the person who started with the appellation that can do all the soldiers guild actions for 2 gold. Because of the synergy between the 2 upgrades it seems like it has been a good choice so far.

That does seem like a decent synergy if you're going to consistently raid! So fair enough - though there will likely be plenty of people (like in our game) that don't end up with that synergy because someone else takes that appellation. In those cases, I think the reputation seems the safer bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supraking777 wrote:
Early on in the campaign, some entry gave the choice between a reputation upgrade and a Tax (4) sticker. Am I missing something or does the reputation seem strictly better? Most of the time, you are using a reputation for advisers that cost 3-5 gold.

There aren't any advisers that are 1 reputation or 5 gold. The costs range from 1 to 4. I wouldn't value a reputation token at more than 3 gold, maybe even a bit less. That said, I agree that +1 on tax actions is pretty lame compared to an extra reputation token. But you don't have to choose it. There are lots of choices in this game that seem pretty one-sided to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the tax upgrade, mostly because tax & sail is a great action to do inbetween other guild actions (especially with certain advisors / events) to both fund and allow for taking both non-sail actions for the Explorer's Guild and Builder's Guild.

It's also a unique upgrade, unavailable (so far) as a winning bonus, whereas additional reputation for advisors is always available as a win bonus.

Four gold (minimum) whenever I sail just seemed more flexible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.