Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going through all the Advancement decks, I cannot help but feel the Federation do seem lacking. I post this in the hopes someone can explain to me what I may be missing.

First up I have found little benefit to Adv. Stellar Cartography. In the area we play in, the number of lanes a system can have rarely is an issue (the only exception being systems that can only have 2 connections). If anything the positioning of planetary distance and fixing the systems causes more issues for creating new lanes than anything. Thus I find this a bit of a "meh" card at most stages of the game. Could it be that my gaming group simply cluster their worlds too well to make new lanes possible?

Second the Long Range Sensor Arrays. These SEEM useful at first, I don't disagree to their mechanics, but I do find the time needed to create them unfortunate. Without a phenomena, it takes 4 rounds to get these online. By that point the Exploration period is usually at its end, making the effort almost redundant.

I almost feel Long Range Sensor's could have been the original Starting Tech for the Federation. Indeed if my group were to do the "choose one Advancement to start the game with" variant, I could see this card gaining significant power from being chosen. But otherwise it seems like a bit of a waste.

I have also gone through the Klingon, Romulan, and Cardassian decks. From my observations none of them have any issues as almost all their tech have use in the mid-late game (which is when the Advancements are typically done). So please contradict me. I would like to believe I have something wrong.

... then again I also do like modifying my games towards what I consider "overlooked game designer improvements", so I'm trying to hold myself back on that :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was as the Federation, and I felt the Advancement cards were some of the least exciting/useful of the starting factions. But I believe this is due to a couple of reasons. One being that some of their tech may be more useful with larger player counts, when manipulating the map may be more useful and exploration may last longer.

But more importantly, they start out with two powerful, synergistic abilities. Gaining culture from simply discovering civilizations and phenomena is huge. It's a direct path to victory. Combine that quick culture gain (and ascendancy) with their improved hegemony rolls, and they can quickly snap up planets early on with little effort or expense. And while weak militarily, some of their fleet specializations are also very useful.

I need more time with the game, but the Feds strike me as a faction that is powerful in the early game and gains a quick lead, particularly if left alone. It's up to the other races to build up (where they can overtake the Feds with the right tech) and put pressure on them by making smart choices.

Also, while some Feddie tech is lackluster, having something that completely negates high-level Romulan cloaking kind of makes up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the above. I would also add that Advanced Stellar Cartography is more useful than you might think. Consider that the Federation can now add an additional space lane creates interesting exploitative opportunities for opponents that thought their systems were safe from a Diplomatic Fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen an isolationist strategy where one empire fills up all their space lanes to keep another empire making a connection. Only thing is that it would be the Federation who would adopt this strategy so them having the tech that counters the very strategy that they are using seems counter-intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
The Feds and the Roms have equally amazing tech. The Klingons are the ones who suffer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
I have seen an isolationist strategy where one empire fills up all their space lanes to keep another empire making a connection.

FYI, if you mean open-ended lanes with ships parked in them, GF9 basically said that won't work if there is room for the lanes to move. Someone on a floating system can initiate a move command to swing their planet around and swing the open lane to make a connection. Actually makes it easier to connect to those worlds since you can see the lane lengths.

It might work if you can wedge the odd lanes into restrictive spaces between fixed worlds, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the Federation's advancements are better than the Klingons' but worse than the Romulans'.

They have a lot of weird effects that it's not immediately obvious how to use, but most of them have a good use. They also have a fair number of advancements that generate resources, which are much more generically powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
I feel like the Federation's advancements are better than the Klingons' but worse than the Romulans'.

Which in turn sounds to me like that's exactly the intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feds aren't bad at ALL. Their tech is perfectly suited to their strengths and I don't think it needs any adjustment.

Planetary Defense Grid is just an amazing deterrent for only three culture.

The Long-Range-Scanners let you find the phenomena you need.

It's not sexy directly combat related, but don't forget that if you Hegemony a Rival's planet with a research nodes, you get one of their tech cards. Yeah, it's their choice but there are many things that synergize with Feds.

And a word on the Klingon tech sucking? Nah, son.

If someone gets the card that allows the Klingons to take 2 of a resource upon destroying a node that creates it, start buffing your weapons and shields because he is the player to beat the second he drops that tech on the table. In combination with the other Klingon abilities, this can lead to an enormous comeback even if the K player is dead last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
brisingre wrote:

Which in turn sounds to me like that's exactly the intent.

I agree entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.