Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A proposed variant by one of my players that I've given decent thinking to, and it seems to have merit.

One of the problems we have is that our Advancements don't appear in our early game, manifest in the mid game, and are forgotten by the late game. While the mechanics of the Phenomena do help accelerate projects, we find its still a tad slow.

Thus we have considered implementing the following:

During your build phase you may place up to 2 Research tokens on any of your Advancement Projects (instead of 1).

This would mean that any 3 or 4-value Advancement could be finished in 2 turns without a Phenomena, and a 5-value could appear in 3 turns. With a phenomena their speed would be developed even further.

Note that this does NOT increase the number of reasearch tokens you gain. Rather it allows you to gain the benefits of your projects faster via prioritisation.

I realize there is some downside to this in that this could really help improve the Romulan's "Culture" game via completing their projects faster. Also it would mean you may not stockpile your research as easily to develop your Weapons/ Shields.

Beyond that though, I see little issue here. If I've missed something please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some massive runaway tech advancement from the Romulans with the normal research rules. I wouldn't even consider this variant myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Veratul wrote:
I've seen some massive runaway tech advancement from the Romulans with the normal research rules. I wouldn't even consider this variant myself.

I second this, especially with the Rom advancement that give you a free research on advancements and nebula farming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.