Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Futile Attempt at a blog entry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmbmb
Yay! Another blog that I will put a few entries in to than ignore because I'm lazy. But hey, I'm bored arguing with DW about religion and dead antagonists, so I'll post about gaming instead.

Thursday Thursday May 17th.

Three days after my 37 birthday, and am knocking on the doors of 40. Scary! I got one of the last 3 copies of Galactic Destiny on earth in the mail this week, and have been jonesing to play it. I tried to get a group for my Thursday RR gamers to give it a while but was trumped by John as he doesn't like long games. Bah I say!

My group is Losing Adam next month to Seattle which is a real shame. Adam is probably the smartest most challenging gamer I've ever played with, and he really pushes you to play smarter. He's one gamer that took time in teaching the intricacies of Age of Steam to the group, while still trouncing us in meantime. This is the third gamer we've lost this year, Smart Mike to college in Penn. and Somewhat Marty to Houston(even though he's in town from time to time). Because these guys were all one of our regular "heavy" gamers which is why I made a plea to find more here in Austin.

I may have to start going to Great Hall Games more on the weekends when I find some time to do so. I really like gaming during the week though, and using weekends for other fun activities.

So this week we played The Princes of Florence, Imperial, and Tichu. I like PoF, but man, I always get trounced playing it. I just don't have the strategy down I guess. Which is strange as I've almost won ever game of Puerto Rico I've ever played, yet can't seem to grasp this one. Well this week was no different. Even though Adam is headed out next month, he still showed us how to almost lap every other player in a single sitting!

We also got to play Imperial, which I really like. Of course we played with the No Investor variant(only way in my book to play) I didn't win, but I think I played a strong game. I was GB, and even though it took me a round or two to pay out divs, I think it came out strong by the end. The game we thought would end 3 round earlier than it did, if it wasn't for a couple of players, Mark and John, running out of the "2 Dollar" run for taxation and revenue that "should" have taken Russia to max. But, just shy of the denars, ruppies, or what ever the denomination it is. Still a fun game, and still not getting old!

Of course we wrapped up the evening with Tichu. Which I S.U.C.K at. We weren't able to get a complete game in but we could have matched points if we got our last round GT in 1-2 punch. But that Bomb on top of a Bomb didn't work to our favor. Oh well.

Well back to rattling cages, and chewing bubble gum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Northglenn
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey, anytime you want me to sit out just let me know and I will like I did when you guys were playing so much of Through the Ages. I'm not offended. I go to lots of game nights and I don't mind missing one now and again. What happened to your meaty game days that you were going to do?

Anyway, playing a four hour game or playing Blue Moon City, Vegas Showdown, On the Underground, and Yspahan -- I'd definitely have more than four times as much fun playing the shorter games. Of course, that's one of the reasons I started the Central Texas Boardgames Meetup http://boardgames.meetup.com/360. I played Imperial and Princes of Florence. Those were pretty meaty.

And stop going over your partner in Tichu!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmbmb
jgravitt wrote:
Hey, anytime you want me to sit out just let me know and I will like I did when you guys were playing so much of Through the Ages. I'm not offended. I go to lots of game nights and I don't mind missing one now and again. What happened to your meaty game days that you were going to do?

And stop going over your partner in Tichu!

Heh, No John, you play enough meaty games, I'm just kidding around. I wouldn't never want you to sit out. I guess we need to plan out a day during the weekend to push out those longer games. Which is why I sent out a plea.I like the casual games as well, but so many longer games collecting dust.

As for Tichu, you are telling it to a lost cause!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls