Subject: After one play--I want to explore this a little more! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we just played our first play of Kingdom Builder last night. I loved the game, and luckily this is a session report, not a review. I'm not qualified to review this game after one play, but I will say the game feels much more ancient than 2012 -- almost like Catan or Carcassonne melded with Go or some other classic game.

So here's how our four-player game shook out. We had a good distribution of special powers: the Tower, the Tavern, the Oasis, and the Farmhouse. Our three scoring tiles were Lords (most settlements in a contiguous area), Farmers (3 points per settlement in the quadrant where you have fewest settlements), and Merchants (12 points for each person who has the most in each quadrant, 6 for second place).

I tried to spread out, as there were two goals that rewarded four-quadrant play, I reasoned getting into all four quadrants would be crucial. Stephen similarly spread out, but hugged the edges. Jon spread out but never made it into his fourth quadrant, and Grace stayed entirely in one quadrant and focused on one giant settlement.

Stephen went out first, having collected a shocking five bonus tiles. I had four bonus tiles, and only one settlement left at the end. Jon had three bonus tiles and 6 or 7 tiles left. Grace, unfortunately, only got one bonus tile (because she stayed clumped together) and had about 10 settlements left at the end.

I won largely on the strength of the farmers -- my smallest location gave me 24 points. Grace's Lord's strategy didn't work, mainly as it only awards a comparatively weak 1/2 point per settlement. Stephen was in all four quadrants, but had not balanced his construction as much as me, so only got 18 points for his least-populated segment. Jon had focused on castles (9 points) and got no bonus points from the farmers (or merchants) as he couldn't make it into all four hexes.

(Rules question: do the merchants require you to have settlements in all four before you're eligible for the bonuses, or does it just mean that you hand out points for each quadrant?)

In the end, I beat Stephen by only a single point: 52 to 51. Jon was sunk by lack of farmers, and ended with 41. Grace never left her home quadrant, and though she won 12 points for it, it wasn't enough to do much for her and she brought up the rear, with 27 points.

All in all, a great game. I love the variability and modular board, and I really think this game provides you with a range of deep options. I haven't seen the downside of the card-drawing yet, so we'll see how that goes. I'm hooked -- and want to play more!

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
(Rules question: do the merchants require you to have settlements in all four before you're eligible for the bonuses, or does it just mean that you hand out points for each quadrant?)

I guess you mean something else than merchants, since merchants are not related to quadrants?

Otherwise nice session report, I'm also hooked on this game, it's a blast. It's often the case that our end scores are quite tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
aaj94 wrote:

Merchants makes you want to connect locations, so that isn't what you mean.

The one that gives you 3 VP per piece you have in the quadrant where you have the fewest, you only score that once, and if you have no pieces in a quadrant, that's the fewest, and you score 0. So if your pieces in the quadrants are 10, 8, 14, 8, then 8 is lowest and you score 24; if it's 15, 15, 10, 0, then 0 is lowest and you score 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just looked at the cards. We played with Citizens (create a large settlement area), Farmers (build settlements in all sectors), and Lords (have the most settlements in each sector).

Because lords says 'Each' sector we were wondering if you needed to have settlements in all four sectors to be eligible for the 12/6 point bonuses in each specific sector.

But I think the bolded text is just a summary of what the card does, not a prerequisite for that bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not need settlements in all four sectors for
Lords. The each just means each sector is scored separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Correia
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're on it.
You should explore/play more games of KB. If possible with the same gaming group.
The "deep" options start to emerge, as you learn, and the game gains even more appeal.

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game gets even better with repeated play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieBoard wrote:
You're on it.
You should explore/play more games of KB. If possible with the same gaming group.
The "deep" options start to emerge, as you learn, and the game gains even more appeal.

Great game.

Thanks! I've already played once more -- my wife and I will hopefully be trying this one regularly as a 2P, and then weekly game nights as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the games I got the most out of, with each additional play. It really does need repeat plays to appreciate the nuances, and with short play time that's easy to do. But some people just try it once or twice, and lack interest to continue. It's a shame, because it really is a terrific game, and the expansions keep it fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.