Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with Kickstarter is the long wait! I pledge for something excited about the theme, the art and everything in between. Then, by the time the game is produced and ships, your mindset is vastly different, your tastes have changed and your mind has moved on to the next big thing. At least that’s how it is for me. What this all means is, that after Kickstarter fulfillment, this game sat for a very long time untouched on the shelves.

Yesterday, however, after a full day of gaming, my husband flat out refused to play another brain heavy game. What was I to do, but break this out? To cut to the chase, this is a pretty neat game. In fact, I liked it a lot more than I thought I was going to (particularly given what I’ve been enjoying most of late). You just have to be in the right mindset and understand what you are - and are not - getting.

What this game is, is a light-weight (slightly more complex than Ticket to Ride) Euro. The theme is Vikings, but these are “eurocized” Vikings. There are no, bloody, dice rolling battles (nor would I personally want there to be). There is no real player interaction, or screwage which is probably a good thing for many (but not so good for me…. I suppose not every game has to have player conflict). For me, this game will work really well for when I want a break from meatier games, want something I can play in 45 mins or less, or want to introduce my non-gaming friends (and really want another option than Ticket to Ride).

How does it work?
In a nutshell, players get a hand of 6 action cards to start. Each card has two symbols on it. These symbols can be used to take actions such as recruiting Vikings or heroes, constructing a building or getting a ship. Once a player has the requisite Vikings, ship and heroes for a particular raid, they can carry out a raid.

Each turn, a player takes as many actions as they can with their 6 cards and then draws back up to six cards. The game is over when all raids have been completed.

The components
Overall, pretty good. My major complaint is with the miniatures. They a) don’t fit in their space on the board and b) came to me pretty misshapen (many can’t stand straight on their own). Honestly, this is less important to me (I personally would have preferred meeples... would have felt higher quality to me, but that is personal opinion).

Otherwise, I like the board and art. I like the layout (and how components all fit nicely on the board). The cards are pretty good quality (a cut above many games, I’d say) and I don’t think I will bother to sleeve them… at this point at least.

Time to setup and play
Setup was extremely quick. Our first two player game took ~45 minutes. I think that we could probably get this down to 30 minutes (two player) which would make this a really good filler for us!

Complexity/rule book
As mentioned above, I would rank this slightly more complex than Ticket to Ride. Rule book was pretty straight forward. I was able to skim in ~10minutes and dive right into the game.

Player Interaction/Conflict
Low to nonexistent

Players
Worked well at two for us. I’ll try this at four and update.

Overall
Great lighter game. We’ll definitely be playing again soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the nice review. We picked up our kickstarter copy at Spiel in Essen and haven't had a chance to play it yet. Lookks like a game we will enjoy.

I completely agree with you on the plastic miniatures. I remember that they were presented like something very special during the kickstarter campaign and I got the idea that they were putting a lot of time, money and effort in making these miniatures. Because of that it felt almost rude to say: "Please, just give me (Viking) meeples. I prefer wood over plastic."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirk_M wrote:
Thanks for the nice review. We picked up our kickstarter copy at Spiel in Essen and haven't had a chance to play it yet. Lookks like a game we will enjoy.

I completely agree with you on the plastic miniatures. I remember that they were presented like something very special during the kickstarter campaign and I got the idea that they were putting a lot of time, money and effort in making these miniatures. Because of that it felt almost rude to say: "Please, just give me (Viking) meeples. I prefer wood over plastic."

Agreed on the figures, and this is becoming an increasing problem on Kickstarter. Yes, there are games that need miniatures (Zombicide: Black Plague, and The Others. Others I find the figures add little. I would have preferred viking meeples.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.