Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Book of Skelos needs to be filled out with a bunch of tokens:

1. Move, Guard and Reroll Benefit tokens.
2. Green Reserve Zone background and red Fatigue Zone background.
3. Activation cost counters numbered 1-8.
4. Recovery Value token.
5. River tiles.

Point 4 and 5 obviously change. But it seems to me that the 13 tokens under points 1-3 never change and are the same for all scenarios. Is that true? If so, why are they even tokens and not pre-printed on the Book of Skelos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1-3 never change, so far...
They might in some future expansion, who knows (the option is there).

If they never ever change then my guess is that the tokens allow those spaces to be colour, rather than dull grey plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpectrumDT wrote:
The Book of Skelos needs to be filled out with a bunch of tokens:

1. Move, Guard and Reroll Benefit tokens.
2. Green Reserve Zone background and red Fatigue Zone background.
3. Activation cost counters numbered 1-8.
4. Recovery Value token.
5. River tiles.

Point 4 and 5 obviously change. But it seems to me that the 13 tokens under points 1-3 never change and are the same for all scenarios. Is that true? If so, why are they even tokens and not pre-printed on the Book of Skelos?

It is "true so far," but will not necessarily remain so as the game evolves and as new expansions arrive. e.g. any given expansion might create new tokens for the OL's slots. (i'm speculating, of course, but it's possible.) Likewise, certain scenarios can potentially remove certain benefit tokens (e.g. no extra OL movement, justified with some scenario-specific reasoning).

i think they did the right thing by not hard-coding them - it shows foresight. Hard-coding them on the Book likely would have had a higher manufacturing cost (for the color printing on plastic), and would have been less flexible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
It is "true so far," but will not necessarily remain so as the game evolves and as new expansions arrive. Likewise, certain scenarios can potentially remove certain benefit tokens.

You're right, and activation counters can be different (2-8 or 3-6, etc...).
But the real reason hidden behind this choice is in Fred Henry's head. Perhaps something like the the possibility to use the book of Skelos in different ways (player vs player with one book each...as example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
But the real reason hidden behind this choice is in Fred Henry's head. Perhaps something like the the possibility to use the book of Skelos in different ways (player vs player with one book each...as example).

That's an interesting idea.

Picts vs. Undead

Undead vs. Pirates

Bossonians vs. Everyone Else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, BUT, where to get a second book of skelos whitout buying the whole game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
yes, BUT, where to get a second book of skelos whitout buying the whole game?

Make one out of foam core or just photo copy it. OLvOL games has been my objective from the start, looking forward to 2v2 player battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Þráinn Gunnlaugur Þorsteinsson
Iceland
Hafnarfjörður
flag msg tools
If I remember correctly, there should be a Book of Skelos option in the forthcoming Conan app that was unlocked as one of the last stretchgoals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see reasons that 1 & 3 might change in the future. Actually I was thinking they should have made a few more spots where 1 was incase they add things in the future. I don't think 2 will ever change but I think it was just easier to keep them like the other parts instead of trying to make stickers for only those two spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be a bitch to paint if it had all the cardboard permanently attached.

I planned on priming mine the same color as it is and drybrushing more stone-color onto it, I'd hate to have to work around in-laid writing or permanent cardboard facets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:

I planned on priming mine the same color as it is and drybrushing more stone-color onto it, I'd hate to have to work around in-laid writing or permanent cardboard facets.

Aren't you concerned about the primer rubbing off on the various cardboard bits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Hillean wrote:

Aren't you concerned about the primer rubbing off on the various cardboard bits?

Not with a good sealant.

Worse comes to worse, I may fill in all the holed-in areas with cardboard when priming (and just paint the upper areas), as the spots behind tokens don't matter on color
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.