The Hotness
Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
Alberto García-Casillas
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

We played a full game yesterday and I just want to give you some insisgths.

Only one of the players had read the rules and studied the forum throughfully. Others din't knew how to play.It took around one hour and a half explain all the rules for this scenario.

The USSR started with a very aggerssive strategy, attacking Persia, Iraq and later Turkey. Mountain terrain. There we learn the importance of keeping an oil to do a Land blitz and finishing the reduced units in mountain. Also we learned the big difference is taking a leader to the right battle.

The Germanplayer failed to take Polonia in the first turn. He forgot to take garrisons to the attack and he had lost a size point in the attack, matching the forest ARM bonus. So Poland didn't had to retreat even against the 1L result.
On his route to Paris was repulsed by the french army thrice. the last time, both players rolled 2B; so the German player couldn't use his destruction of the french forces. He vacated Paris of defending land forces (still it had a naval unit and an air one) but the "B" result prevented German panzers to take the french capito.

The AFAplayer lost the Naval battle in the Mediterranean against the Italians and didn't reinforce the fleet, so he couldn't score the Britannia rules the waves victory condition. Fortunately he always scored Standing Alone until turn 6. After the first turn, he couldn't score British Commonwealth because of the convoy damage.
Something important to learn for the AFA player: everything you invest in the french army, navy or airforces will be lost once GER gets Paris (Vichy creation).

The USA didn't built his Lend Lease units until turn 3, so he has lost the only opportunity to score 1 VP each turn before going to war.
Russian agresiveness and Germany setbacks delayed not only his intervention until turn 8, but his production heavily.


We enjoyed it very much and finished the game in almost 9 hours.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Croxton
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lycanthropos wrote:
Hello,
The Germanplayer failed to take Polonia in the first turn. He forgot to take garrisons to the attack and he had lost a size point in the attack, matching the forest ARM bonus. So Poland didn't had to retreat even against the 1L result.


I'm pretty sure the attacker only has to have more armoured steps at the beginning of the attack, so even if he loses all of his armour in the combat, he could still advance as long as the defender retreated. Also, the defender's retreat isn't dependent on the attacker's advance, but rather the other way around: the defender always has to carry out his retreat even if no attacking units can advance, but the attacker can only advance with his units if all defending units retreated or were eliminated and the defender did not score a "B" result against the attacker.

I could be wrong, of course. I played several solo games using the triangle factors as die modifiers before I realized that they referred to combat strength. That made a huge difference, as it is virtually impossible to get a "B" result if you have to subtract from the die roll.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Derek,

lycanthropos wrote:
I'm pretty sure the attacker only has to have more armoured steps at the beginning of the attack,


That's correct as far as it goes....

lycanthropos wrote:
so even if he loses all of his armour in the combat, he could still advance as long as the defender retreated.


No advance is possible if the defender's roll prevented all attacking units from advancing.

lycanthropos wrote:
Also, the defender's retreat isn't dependent on the attacker's advance, but rather the other way around: the defender always has to carry out his retreat even if no attacking units can advance, but the attacker can only advance with his units if all defending units retreated or were eliminated and the defender did not score a "B" result against the attacker.

I could be wrong, of course. I played several solo games using the triangle factors as die modifiers before I realized that they referred to combat strength. That made a huge difference, as it is virtually impossible to get a "B" result if you have to subtract from the die roll.


Yes, you are correct here, I perhaps jumped in too quickly above sorry. Any yes, using the Defensive Factors as DRMs would change the game hugely! ;-)

Cheers,
Dave L.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.