$20.00
$60.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Kanagawa» Forums » Rules

Subject: Symbols on starting tile & starting player token at the end of round & game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BG Geek
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey geeks,

I need some help / clarity on two subjects:

1)
In case of a starting player change:
When does the starting player token go to the new player?
At the end of the current round or the beginning of the next?
Quite important in case of a photo finish and the 2 points gained for the token

2)
Do the symbols on the start tile, especially the arrows and ink pots count for the diplomas?

Great elegant game btw...
Like so often, when Bruno C. is involved

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG Geek
Germany
flag msg tools
bggeek101 wrote:
Hey geeks,

I need some help / clarity on two subjects:

1)
Quite important in case of a photo finish and the 2 points gained for the token

The rules are a little loose here:

"When all players have taken Lesson cards, the round ends. The player with the Assistant pawn takes the Grand Master pawn and becomes the first player for the next round.
A new round begins. Return to Step 1 “Follow the teachings of the Master”."

Of course it says "the round ends" before the Grand Master pawn goes to the next player, but this happens also before the "new round begins"-
so really inbetween rounds... puzzling.

2)
Do the symbols on the start tile, especially the arrows and ink pots count for the diplomas?

Great elegant game btw...
Like so often, when Bruno C. is involved

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bggeek101 wrote:
1)
At the end of the round. I think the rule should read: "When all players have taken Lesson cards, the round ends: the player with the Assistant pawn takes the Grand Master pawn and becomes the first player for the next round.

A small colon can make a real difference sometimes (and I'm talking about punctuation here! whistle )
bggeek101 wrote:
2)
Yes they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. We play that the starting player token changes hands at the end of the round. This because of several reasons:
-it's more fun: Fighting to get the token in the last round is still meaningful;
-the sentence in the rules that the owner of the assistants takes the Grand master pawn is part of the paragraph in which the round end is explained. The sentence about starting the new round is a new paragraph. This indicates that taking the Grand master pawn is part of 'ending the round' and not 'beginning the round'.
-the part 'when all player have taken lesson cards' also includes everything that is involved with taking cards: placing them in your print or studio and resolving their effects.
-on page 8 of the rules is explained that the start of the round is: the owner of the Grand Master pawn places cards on the school board, not 'the Ganrd Master changes hands'. So that has already happened at the end of the previous round or during set up.

2. Yes, the tokens refer to elements (not symbols, but that's another's thread) in your studio and your starttile is part of your studio (see page 6 for example).

3. I completely agree with you. Wonderful game. Our most played Essen purchase (with a lot of different people who also all loved it, casual and die hard gamers alike)

ninja-d by the publisher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG Geek
Germany
flag msg tools
Mattintheweb wrote:
bggeek101 wrote:
1)
At the end of the round. I think the rule should read: "When all players have taken Lesson cards, the round ends: the player with the Assistant pawn takes the Grand Master pawn and becomes the first player for the next round.

A small colon can make a real difference sometimes (and I'm talking about punctuation here! whistle )
bggeek101 wrote:
2)
Yes they do.

What a great community we have here on BGG...

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't ink pots diplomas supposed to be counted when you actually use the ink pots in your studio? That's how I thought and how I've played until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lochi wrote:
Aren't ink pots diplomas supposed to be counted when you actually use the ink pots in your studio? That's how I thought and how I've played until now.
I don't think you have to actually use them, just having them is enough. They are already part of your studio.
rules page 6 wrote:
Studio
You begin your studies with:
- Supplies (2 Brush pawns that you place in front of you),
- Know-How (an Arrow indicating the possible movement
of a Brush each round),
- The type of Landscape you mastered
at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly the rules seems confusing on this point:

Rules, p. 10, PLACE A BRUSH IN YOUR STUDIO wrote:

As long as a Brush has not yet been placed in your Studio, you can play it, at any point during your turn, on an empty Landscape icon in your Studio.

Rules, p.15, Diplomas associated with your Studio wrote:

Gain points if you have at least x Brushes in your Studio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG Geek
Germany
flag msg tools
Lochi wrote:
Certainly the rules seems confusing on this point:

Rules, p. 10, PLACE A BRUSH IN YOUR STUDIO wrote:

As long as a Brush has not yet been placed in your Studio, you can play it, at any point during your turn, on an empty Landscape icon in your Studio.

Rules, p.15, Diplomas associated with your Studio wrote:

Gain points if you have at least x Brushes in your Studio

I am pretty much sure, that this refers to the number of the corresponding symbols being present in your studio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.