$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Area damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

sorry, if this has already been clarified - i browsed the forum, but didn't find what i was looking for...

Attacks with area damage (like lightning storm or the explosive orb) damage every character (friend and foe) in an area with the rolled amount of damage - correct?

How does defense against area attacks work exactly for the overlord? I had an example of four different monsters (a pict warrior, a pict hunter, a hyena and zogar sag) in one area, which Hadrathus attacked with lighting storm. Does the overlord decide to roll a 'basic' defense to lower the area damage for every enemy or can he decide, which characters take the whole amount of damage and which he wants to defend by using gems?

Thanks in advance and happy gaming!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kosmoko wrote:
Hey folks,

sorry, if this has already been clarified - i browsed the forum, but didn't find what i was looking for...


This was just answered not 30 minutes ago in the forum and now i can't find the post - perhaps the poster deleted it. (Edit: it was thread 1667647, and it only concerned the "friend vs foe" aspect.)

Kosmoko wrote:
Attacks with area damage (like lightning storm or the explosive orb) damage every character (friend and foe) in an area with the rolled amount of damage - correct?


Correct. Page 19 of the Heroes' Book, last paragraph, answers this.

Kosmoko wrote:
How does defense against area attacks work exactly for the overlord? I had an example of four different monsters (a pict warrior, a pict hunter, a hyena and zogar sag) in one area, which Hadrathus attacked with lighting storm. Does the overlord decide to roll a 'basic' defense to lower the area damage for every enemy or can he decide, which characters take the whole amount of damage and which he wants to defend by using gems?


Page 19 also answers that, though not as explicitly:

Quote:
The dice for an area attack are rolled once and apply to each attack.


i.e. each character (friend or foe) in that area takes the amount of damage applied by the single roll unless they defend against it. Note, however, that page 7 explains that you cannot use certain things to defend against area damage (specifically, you can use a shield but you cannot parry it with a sword).

Remember that an OL unit's armor value is always applied to defense, and may end up blocking all the damage.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan is the Man ! cool
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
Stephan is the Man ! cool


i'm currently on medical leave and have little else to do, so... here i am .
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Second question:

What about the caster?

Looking at the first Pict village map, there really are very few spaces which have line of sight to each other. Hadrathus is nearly useless unless he can throw spells in his own space. (Which he can thanks to concentration).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help! :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
of course Hadrathus can bomb his own space. It will hurt for sure, but he can!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:
Looking at the first Pict village map, there really are very few spaces which have line of sight to each other. Hadrathus is nearly useless unless he can throw spells in his own space. (Which he can thanks to concentration).


To make it worse, he can't cast through the "hut flaps" on the doors (which block LOS, as clarified in another thread). He can get a range of 1 in many places, but anything further than that is seldom in this scenario.

Note that the rules explicitly state that one always has LOS to their own zone, which implies that any ranged combat/spells may be made/cast in one's own zone. But, yes, area damage in the attacker's own zone hurts the attacker.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:

Looking at the first Pict village map, there really are very few spaces which have line of sight to each other.


Note that the way you interpret the rather ambigious LoS and terrain rules (e.g. the bushes) will create more or less lines of sight on this map. This issue has been discussed in several other threads. YMMV.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.