Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » General

Subject: Compatibility with first edition: beware rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read several times (this forum and official website) that the expansion was compatible with the first edition so I decided to purchase it. But it is not compatible, at least for me:
1) Room tiles have different thickness and color. So you will know if you draw an original tile or expansion tile upfront
2) haunt numbering is wrong in a lot of cases for old haunts. I assume 2nd edition had different numbering compared to first? As it is, the haunt chart is useless for the old haunts!

So disappointed. Are the 2nd exition haunt books available in pdf somewhere? I'd like to make this at least somewhat playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A handful of haunts were replaced in 2nd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the expansion requires some 2nd edition items as well. So yeah, not compatible at all.

Anyone know where I can find the 2nd edition items and haunt books so I can make it combatible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Kwakkie wrote:
I noticed the expansion requires some 2nd edition items as well. So yeah, not compatible at all.

Anyone know where I can find the 2nd edition items and haunt books so I can make it combatible?

There were revised Traitors Tome/Secrets of Survival put out ages ago that I long ago printed. I have also had no problems with this situation. I do not know if the revised material matches the second edition or not.

That said this is VERY easy to work around IF it is a real issue - for any result under 50, use the tables in the base game instead of the table in the expansion. I do this myself as I printed up the version of the revised haunts that included 20 bonus fan created haunts. This came with a table that spread the base game room/omen combinations across 70 results instead of 50. So any time the result is not an expansion haunt, I reference that original table instead.

I believe any expansion omen or expansion room results in an expansion haunt, and vice versa. No idea if this is entirely true.

As for the room tiles, we played the first few games with the tiles stacked in a corner of the box top. This hides the edges completely. This is a trick I learned from Mr. Jack where a production error necessitated hiding the sides of the tiles. Works great.

A handful of games later and we just stopped caring because we could not think of a way in which it actually mattered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
I'll add that the only significant issue I've encountered using the expansion with first edition was a haunt where yellow monsters were required. We worked around it. This is consistent with the comment from the publisher I've seen that suggests a little bit of creative interpretation of tokens will be necessary for first edition owners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just purchased the expansion yesterday. My first edition is currently on the other side of the country, so I didn't get to compare them.

The room tiles being different thickness is a head scratcher for me, in that I can't think of why it matters. How does knowing the vintage of the room influence anything? The cards not matching is more of a concern, but only because it could impact shuffling.

Anyway, hopefully an FAQ of what issues might arrise and how best to fix them can be developed in short order. I don't imagine it'd be all that complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Real Uberman wrote:
The cards not matching is more of a concern, but only because it could impact shuffling.

The cards also changed between 1st and 2nd edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
The Real Uberman wrote:
The cards not matching is more of a concern, but only because it could impact shuffling.

The cards also changed between 1st and 2nd edition?

No idea. Probably not?

I wasn't clear. I meant if something did change, I'd be more upset by the cards than the tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack McEwan
United States
San Antonio
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
That said this is VERY easy to work around... So any time the result is not an expansion haunt, I reference that original table instead.

I believe any expansion omen or expansion room results in an expansion haunt, and vice versa. No idea if this is entirely true.

Checked and it is entirely true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:

There were revised Traitors Tome/Secrets of Survival put out ages ago that I long ago printed. I have also had no problems with this situation. I do not know if the revised material matches the second edition or not.

That said this is VERY easy to work around IF it is a real issue - for any result under 50, use the tables in the base game instead of the table in the expansion. I do this myself as I printed up the version of the revised haunts that included 20 bonus fan created haunts. This came with a table that spread the base game room/omen combinations across 70 results instead of 50. So any time the result is not an expansion haunt, I reference that original table instead.

As for the room tiles, we played the first few games with the tiles stacked in a corner of the box top. This hides the edges completely. This is a trick I learned from Mr. Jack where a production error necessitated hiding the sides of the tiles. Works great.

A handful of games later and we just stopped caring because we could not think of a way in which it actually mattered.

I can't think why knowing whether the tiles were old tiles or new tiles would matter unless you are very familiar with them. I haven't gotten the expansion yet, but I CAN potentially foresee an issue if you know that to win after the haunt you need to head to a certain room. If the top tile is an old tile on the same floor as the room you need, you have a better idea that it might be the one you want. If it's a new tile, you could open a room on a different floor to bypass it.

Often this won't matter as no matter what room you reveal, it will not be the one you want. But for rooms that are on two floors, or three, you can perhaps finangle the game to work in your favor.

Still, the game is so swingy and wildly imbalanced that I hardly think this breaks the game if you enjoyed it before. Besides, you can always get the expansion and then later update your original edition to the the revised one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.