War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hunt roll questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Sorensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Playing with the kid for our first time, and I'd love if someone could pitch in a bit to make sure we're playing the Hunt roll right.

Forgive me for phrasing these like stupid questions.

In each of these cases, would we roll for Hunt or not?

Situation 1:
The fellowship track is at 0 ,and the fellowship does not move this turn.

Situation 2:
Fellowship track is at 2 from last stand, fellowship does not declare and does not move this turn.

Also, when exactly is the Hunt rolled?
If I move the fellowship once, does the Shadow roll right away or do you roll after all moves are finished?
This is mostly relevant if the fellowship is moved more than once the same turn.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only roll for the hunt when the fellowship moves (or from certain events), so you would not roll in your 2 situations.

You roll right away each time the free player uses a die to move. If they move 3 times in a turn, you will roll 3 times (first targeting 6's, then 5's, then 4's). There are no hunt rolls at the end or beginning of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In both your situations the fellowship does not move, so no Hunt.

Every time you move the fellowship, you roll for the Hunt. In the same turn, with every next fellowship move after the first one the Hunt will be easier: first Hunt a 6 is needed for succes, 2nd Hunt a 5+6, 3rd Hunt a 4+5+6 etc. (this is why you place the die used to move the fellowship in the hunt box after you move with it).

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi Ivan,

I designed this annotated playthrough to give newish players a better sense of when and how certain WotR mechanics play out. It may help with some others that can be challenging to get one's head around.

Viva RuneQuest!

Edit: link corrected
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Sorensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thank you guys and thanks for sharing the play aid, we'll definitely read that!

And yes, huzzah for Runequest :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
This might also help: www.warofthering.eu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being interested in how good rulebooks are written I'd like to hear from the OP which rules made him ask this question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Sorensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mattias wrote:
Being interested in how good rulebooks are written I'd like to hear from the OP which rules made him ask this question?

I should add that I have the 1st edition game, so it may be clearer now.

The 1st ed rulebook feels a bit like someone who already knows the rules writing down a summary to remind themselves.
maybe we were just slow though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runequester wrote:
Mattias wrote:

I should add that I have the 1st edition game, so it may be clearer now.

The 1st ed rulebook feels a bit like someone who already knows the rules writing down a summary to remind themselves.
maybe we were just slow though

I think both 1st and 2nd edition rules are fairly "wordy" and not very good at showing how the game is actually played. That said the rules you need are on pages 18 and 19 of the 1st edition book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Sorensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Appreciate it greatly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.