Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I missed that in the rules:
Is there a thematic reason why a Bishop Token is discarded after a succesful Campaign against an Empire but stays on the Empire after a vote or succesful Civil or Religious War?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:
Is there a thematic reason why a Bishop Token is discarded after a succesful Campaign against an Empire but stays on the Empire after a vote or succesful Civil or Religious War?

I felt that bishops did not participate in wars or votes, and therefore would not be casualties. I considered a special exception to kill off a bishop who was that of a losing religion in a religious war, but decided it was not worth the complication. And leave bishop-killing to other bishops.

However, in a successful campaign, the defeated empire becomes a Vassal. Because of the decision to make the Suzerain/Vassal combo act as one card for the purposes of bishops and their silencing, leaving the bishops untouched after a campaign would mean the bishops of the defeated vassal would dictate policy for the new conquerors. This seemed strange. Moreover, for rules-writing, it was easier and simpler to throw out the Vassal's bishops in the same rule that threw out the Vassal's Queens and Vassals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:

I felt that bishops did not participate in wars or votes, and therefore would not be casualties. I considered a special exception to kill off a bishop who was that of a losing religion in a religious war, but decided it was not worth the complication. And leave bishop-killing to other bishops.

However, in a successful campaign, the defeated empire becomes a Vassal. Because of the decision to make the Suzerain/Vassal combo act as one card for the purposes of bishops and their silencing, leaving the bishops untouched after a campaign would mean the bishops of the defeated vassal would dictate policy for the new conquerors. This seemed strange. Moreover, for rules-writing, it was easier and simpler to throw out the Vassal's bishops in the same rule that threw out the Vassal's Queens and Vassals.

I see, thank you. I also like the idea of the special exception in a religious war. I will keep that in mind as an optional rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question!

I will side with you and make the ruling in a religious war, bishops of the opposite side are killed. One more thing to remember but thematically very rich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.