$20.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Mamma Mia!» Forums » Rules

Subject: New to Mamma Mia ... Questions! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spudkitty

Idaho
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got Mamma Mia (actually Mamma Mia Plus) and am confused about the rollowing:

1. Why do you place the ingredients 'in the oven' before the pizza is assembled and baked (or is this a translation problem)?.

2. After the first round and you have revealed all the cards and sorted them, what happens to the unused cards ... are they left sorted on the table or are they gathered up and placed in a pile for the next round? The instructions are confusing as they say "Once all cards have been revealed, he takes any remaining unused ingredients and places them in a pile in the middle of the table, forming a new oven." If they are placed in a pile, are they shuffled or left in the sorted order?

3. Is there any way the 'Pizza Minimale' can be played in the first round? Seems like the ingredient cards have to be sorted to see which ingredient is fewest. I guess you could look through the pile, but that doesn't sound fair unless everyone gets to see them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Spudkitty wrote:
I just got Mamma Mia (actually Mamma Mia Plus) and am confused about the rollowing:

1. Why do you place the ingredients 'in the oven' before the pizza is assembled and baked (or is this a translation problem)?.


Theme, such as it is.

Quote:
2. After the first round and you have revealed all the cards and sorted them, what happens to the unused cards ... are they left sorted on the table or are they gathered up and placed in a pile for the next round? The instructions are confusing as they say "Once all cards have been revealed, he takes any remaining unused ingredients and places them in a pile in the middle of the table, forming a new oven." If they are placed in a pile, are they shuffled or left in the sorted order?


Those instructions seems pretty clear...

You gather them into a pile. Sorted or mixed doesn't matter, at all.

Quote:
3. Is there any way the 'Pizza Minimale' can be played in the first round? Seems like the ingredient cards have to be sorted to see which ingredient is fewest. I guess you could look through the pile, but that doesn't sound fair unless everyone gets to see them.


Yes, it can always be played. Completing it is another matter. There is a strong memory/intuition element to this game. Players need to track what's in the pile, what's been consumed by previous successful pizzas, and what they need to keep in their had to complete iffy pizzas.

No one can look at through the pile. Pizzas are resolved as they come up in the pile, based on the ingredients already played.

It sounds like you need to play a sample round, to see how the game actually plays; you seem to not understand how things work, and actually going through it manually is likely to be revelatory.




1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Frenzy (Split Enz, 1979)
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Chris.

1. Because that's the way the game works. You put ingredients into the oven, and if you think there's enough in there for you to fulfill a pizza order, you can put an order card in.

2. Unused cards ingredients stay in the oven for the next round. Doesn't matter if they're mixed or not.

3. Yes, you have to remember/guess which ingredient will be the least.

It's a great game, play it a few times and see!

Also:

4. Remember you can use ingredients still in your hand at the end of the round to help complete pizza orders.

5. Remember you can only draw EITHER ingredient cards OR order cards after your turn, NOT BOTH. Hand management is part of the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spudkitty

Idaho
msg tools
mbmbmb
Many thanks for the helpful (and quick!) responses ... very much appreciated.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spudkitty wrote:


3. Is there any way the 'Pizza Minimale' can be played in the first round? Seems like the ingredient cards have to be sorted to see which ingredient is fewest. I guess you could look through the pile, but that doesn't sound fair unless everyone gets to see them.


It sounds like you playing incorrectly. You're suppose to try to make each pizza as it comes up in the pile using only the ingredients that are turned up to that point (and cards in hand). Minimale can easily be done first round if you can play it early.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.