Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damian Fraser
Canada
Whitecourt
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dose anyone know where or have some easy ?'s for teaching this game when people are in the same room? It seems that our group backs off from going into rooms with other players because thay can't think of a ?'s to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How many bearded Franciscans have you eliminated as suspects?

Have you seen Father William's card?

Do you still suspect any thin unhooded novices?

Have you received any information from another player that leads you to believe that Brother Emmanuel could be the murderer?

Are you planning to make an accusation on your turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Have you eliminated three or more Fathers?

Have you eliminated two suspects out of a group containing the following three monks: X, Y, and Z?

Or, even trickier: Have you eliminated any suspects out of monks: W, X, Y, and Z?

Or, the worst question: Have you eliminated Brother Berengar?

Or, for fun: How many lovers have you had? Or, if I pass you a good card next turn, will you get up and make chocolate brownies while we play? - seriously, there's nothing in the rules that says you cannot ask such questions, and the other player must either PASS (in which case they do not get to ask you a qeustion) or answer *truthfully*. Heh heh heh.

Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
How many suspects of the order I just passed to you in mass have you eliminated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackberry wrote:
Have you received any information from another player that leads you to believe that Brother Emmanuel could be the murderer?

Gelatinous Goo wrote:
How many suspects of the order I just passed to you in mass have you eliminated?

Actually, these are both examples of wrong questions to ask. You may not ask any question that requires memory of how you received your information, even if it "just happened".

EDIT: Disregard the above. The rest may still be of some value.

As for how to get folks to ask questions, I usually suggest that people ask a question that they know at least part of the answer themselves. For example, if there are three bearded, hooded monks, and you have the card for one of them, you might ask if another player how many bearded, hooded monks they have crossed off. If they say two, you'll know they can all be eliminated (assuming they haven't seen your card).

I do think questioning is much less useful in the first few turns until you can start to come up with those sorts of combinations.

The real key to teach is how to mark on your sheet who else knows what, based on cards you receive or look at from other players. That way, you can fine-tune your questions based on what you know that they know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
You may not ask any question that requires memory of how you received your information, even if it "just happened".

Where, exactly, does this prohibition appear in the rules? Can you provide a quote from the rules?

I think the questions cited are valid, and questions of this type are legal. The drawback is that a player can sometimes honestly answer "I don't remember" but that doesn't make the question illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
Blackberry wrote:

Actually, these are both examples of wrong questions to ask. You may not ask any question that requires memory of how you received your information, even if it "just happened".

That makes the game impossible. If you can never ask about what other players may have learned from other players, you will be playing for about 12 hours just to try to get all of that information first-hand.

The game rules don't even say that the question must be about the game itself, much less that it can't involve memory. And I'm not even talking about memory here; I'm talking about consulting the notes that you should be keeping on who eliminated whom when where how and why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya know, when I posted that, it occurred to be I might be wrong, but I swear I had read it. I went to check the rules that night, but MotA was buried somewhere deep in storage, and I didn't think to look on the DoW site. I figured someone would be quick to reprimand me if I was wrong. Well, it wasn't exactly quick, but I'm glad someone corrected me.

Sure enough, there is no such restriction. I really don't know where I got that, except maybe I read too much into the example questions, none of which demonstrate any memory. (I think I taught myself this game, so blaming the teacher doesn't help.) However, the rules explicitly say, "As all players have taken a vow of honesty, all questions must be answered truthfully, to the best of the players’ knowledge or recollection." [emphasis mine] Man, I was ruining this game. (Although we all still had a lot of fun playing it.)

As an added bonus, here's Bruno proving me wrong:
http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?th=308&start=0

I apologize for being "that guy", making claims regarding rules without any citation. I'll be in Penance if anyone needs me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls